News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Argent Silver substitute?

Started by Swank, 2017-05-14 12:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Swank

Any suggestions of a box store rustoleum rattle-can type substitute for Argent Silver? ...or does it matter much?  Never seen the original in person, that i know of.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

57fordwagon

Swank,
Eastwood a real nice "Argent Silver" in a spray can.  I've found theirs to be the best.  I assume you're painting something like a '57 gravel shield behind the front bumper.  Argent Silver isn't glossy; it should have a matte finish.  There are a lot of spray-can silvers at any True Value, but I don't know how close they'd come to looking authentic.   
'40 Ford Convertible
'41 Ford pickup
'51 Ford F1 pickup
'57 Ford station wagon
'70 El Camino

Swank

yeah, looking to paint a couple things, ...like the air cleaner for example.
it was in the floor when I got it, put it in the magic vinegar bucket, and put some silver high temp (only thing I had at the time) to keep it from rusting right back up.  just wondering how close to argent I am,  it looks a little light on the silver part to me, but it is matte.  I'll probably have to check out eastwoods.

-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

billd5string

Swank - I think those make the most impressive before and after pictures I've ever seen. Very impressive!
1957 Ford Del Rio
1967 Mercury Cougar
2015 Ram 1500
2018 Mustang GT (daily driver)

Swank

Thanks,  the magic bucket is about 1 part white vinegar and 2 parts water.  Was kinda skeptical, but it came out almost brand new, no scrubbing or buffing, just a rinse and a wipe down.  Now i throw everything in that bucket. 
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

rmk57

How long did you leave the air cleaner in for? Turned out really nice by the way.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Swank

I believe 5 or 6 days on that one, give it a stir every couple days.  the rust literally just dissolves away.  you have to immediately rinse it with water and dry though.  the vinegar residue left exposed to air will start some crazy corrosion.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

John Palmer

Swank, I use Rust-Oleum from Home Depot.  It comes in the larger "Professional" sized cans, the color is called aluminum part#7515.  It's less than $6/can and I use it often on my trailer parts it holds up very well, just make sure you shoot some grey primer under it.  It's really close to argent silver both in color and shine.

hiball3985

This subject always interest me. Almost every car manufacture in the 50's had a listing for some shade of Argent in their paint codes. Why they used that name is beyond me, Argent is simply a French word for silver.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

John Palmer

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-05-17 08:16
This subject always interest me. Almost every car manufacture in the 50's had a listing for some shade of Argent in their paint codes. Why they used that name is beyond me, Argent is simply a French word for silver.

Jim, Are you suggesting that we should be calling it SILVER SILVER ?

hiball3985

Quote from: John Palmer on 2017-05-17 10:17
Jim, Are you suggesting that we should be calling it SILVER SILVER ?
Well technically that would be correct :003: From what I was told at one point in time they used the Argent name  because there were already gloss type Silver paints being used on cars. Thats just what I remember that an old timer car painter told me. This was back in the 60's when I wanted the top of my 57 silver and he laughed and said are you sure you don't want Argent. and thats were I got the info, how true I have no idea. I ended up using a Cadillac silver.

I think Ford used different shades of Argent over the years. Seems the Mustang rally wheel paint is readily available, it's close, maybe just a little darker?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Jim
    You must have been talking to the same old guy that told me the same thing back in the olden days.
     Argent is silver.
Jay

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2017-05-17 11:57
Jim
    You must have been talking to the same old guy that told me the same thing back in the olden days.
     Argent is silver.
Jay
And now I'm the old guy with Argent hair  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

terry_208

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2017-05-17 13:13
And now I'm the old guy with Argent hair  :003:

Hair...What's that?
Terry

Swank

thanks Palmer,
i'll check that out if I can make it there before I order anything online.  they have too many "silvers" these days.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)