News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Custom 300

Started by Frankenstein57, 2012-11-29 20:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

Just got home from a night of block sanding on this custom 300. This car belongs to a friend of mine, it was a true barn find. He got interested in building a street 57, after seeing my projects develop. The car was spotted in the Phoenix area, and contact information was left with the owner. The owner eventually called, and a deal was struck. This car had 21,000 original miles on it. Very little rust repair was needed. He went through the 292 and auto trans, new gas tank, brakes, I loaned him a radiator as his was pretty bad. His plan is to keep it stock, had the two tone light blue over dark blue which he is going with. I printed the painter a couple pics of Bob's 57 again, with the new and old colors. He then wanted to go blue & white, but his firewall and stuff are all done, no turning back. I'll update this post as the car moves along, Mark

briney

If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

RICH MUISE

SHEEEET...GUYS THAT FIND STUFF LIKE REALLY PISS ME OFF. lol.....awesome find...speaking of which...I got to see Jeff Norwell's also awesome custom 300 still here in Texas. Unknown to me that it was there, I was at Owens Salvage, and Bob mentioned he had a really solid 300 2dr he was storing "for a friend from Canada."...."would that be Jeff?" I asked....
There still out there for sure.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

Jealous....wow that body looks good.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Frankenstein57

Update on this car, the relationship the owner had with my painter went bad. Long story, but the car got pushed to the back burner.So he paid his bill and took it elsewhere. The cars owner is a local short track legend from the 60's, 70's, 80's. The new painter also raced with us for awhile, so he had a strong personal interest in the car. He did a beautiful job on it, another good move was having him polish and hang the stainless. I'll update this as it progress's, Mark

Jeff Norwell

Dang........ that is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2013-09-03 21:37
The cars owner is a local short track legend from the 60's, 70's, 80's.

What is his name?  I know it's not Trickle....did he race at the Dells, Plover or Madison?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

That 300 is fine...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ecode70D

Looks like Jeff and the owner of this one fell into the mother load...   So it means they're still out there.  Makes me wonder how many are still undiscovered in that nice unrusted condition.
That sheet metal is beautiful and the painter did a great job.

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2012-11-30 08:15
SHEEEET...GUYS THAT FIND STUFF LIKE REALLY PISS ME OFF. lol.....awesome find...speaking of which...I got to see Jeff Norwell's also awesome custom 300 still here in Texas. Unknown to me that it was there, I was at Owens Salvage, and Bob mentioned he had a really solid 300 2dr he was storing "for a friend from Canada."...."would that be Jeff?" I asked....
There still out there for sure.

Rich I remember your mentioning in an earlier post how you stumbled across Jeff's car at Owen's salvage.
   Funny how things turn around.  He's from up north.  His car was in Texas and you made a guess that it was his car.   
    And now I know just who Jeff is.
     Small world isn't it?

Jeff Norwell

I think Jay there are still a ton of these cars out there....(57's)..... they outsold all others in 1957.As you and I have discussed.... I truly believe that these cars are the 32-34's of this era.
If I could find another one..... I would buy it.
It's just to bad rot and rust are the big enemy to a 57-61 Ford.Interesting and kinda off Topic note..... I bought some YOM plates for my 57 last year.... 1957 and 1958 are the the most rare and expensive YOM plate to buy in Ontario......why?.... Because Like Ford and other companies... the Province issuing that year thought it was cheaper to go with reclaimed metal(1957 technology here) than buying premium stuff for that years plate(and 58 too!.)The plates just melted away after a few years.... and of course.at the time....Nobody cared.Same goes for the 57..... nobody really cared......) 'cept us now!
Ford in 57 started using recycled metal to cut cost.

Jeff Norwell

At any rate... that 300 is very very nice...... I finally found a very good painter.... nice young fella with a family,no drug problems or substance abuse issues.... I don't know about Painters and bodymen in your neck of the woods.... but around here... trying to find a good one is a hard deal.

hiball3985

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2013-09-04 13:24
At any rate... that 300 is very very nice...... I finally found a very good painter.... nice young fella with a family,no drug problems or substance abuse issues.... I don't know about Painters and bodymen in your neck of the woods.... but around here... trying to find a good one is a hard deal.
Back in 1968 when I had my 57 painted Thunderbird Rave Black and some Cadillac silver the painter was an older guy and an excellent painter when he was sober  :003: My car sat for weeks waiting  :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Jay...funny about Jeff and his car. I've "met" the car, but not Jeff...you've met the man, but not his car. Odd also, especially with Canadian being the common factor, I've seen Lorne Udy's car in person also, but haven't met him. I saw it in Phoenix before he bought it.
And speaking of small world, I'm French Canadian. I'm originally from Mass. where you live. Lorne's car I saw in Phoenix, where your brother lives.
As far as good painters, seem to be a handfull around here. I met the best of the bunch last year, had no clue who he was, just that he had a '57 ranch wagon. Funny, nice guy, we talked '57's for an hour or so. Showed him pics of mine. After a lot of talking, I asked what he did for a living, he told me he use to paint cars and motorcycles before he went back to work for Bell Helicopter. When he showed me his thick photo album my mouth dropped open. I commented he must have had a bunch of these in car mags. He told me he has been on the cover of "just about all of them" . Anyway, not sure if I remember his first name correctly, but I'm thinking it was John(?) Stromberg. He's one of the Lucky Seven, has done work for Foose and Troy Trepanier and that big big collector whose name I can't remember(usaually has 1/2 dozen builds going on for him by the biggies in the business). Troy tried to buy his '57 Ranch wagon, which he wouldn't sell, for the build of that awesome orange and silver heavily modded wagon that ran the big show circuit for a few years. John's wagon is still kind of a ratrod, but will be a future project after he takes a few years break from cars.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Jeff Norwell

Wow.....small world indeed.
Rich...John Stromberg is a verg good pal of mine...... I met him in 06(?) on my first Trip to Texas.... in Amarillo...minutes after i stepped off the plane.
Talented beyond belief.
John owns some of my art.... he wanted to paint my 32 truck... but the distance was too great.He is a very close friend of Bob Owens.
I see John when I travel to your neck of the woods.
I really wish he would finish the 57 wagon.......
Your right.... his portfolio is stunning.....

Your French Canadian?
I am sorry to hear that....... ha haha ha(Kidding....half my family is French Canadian)

Small world indeed.

I wanna meet James Potter.