News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear window package tray

Started by clusterbuster, 2013-11-08 07:36

Previous topic - Next topic

clusterbuster

I bought a new window package tray for my sedan from Mac's and had to trim it down on the ends to make it fit. The old one was almost like saw dust and nothing left of it, so I don't have a clue as to how they are secured it to the body. I don't want it just sitting in there. Any one have any tips on securing it? Also I am wondering what most guys cover them with.The book said ready to paint, but the thing is really coarse and would be tough to get a nice finish without lots of work on it. Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks.

JimNolan

Instead of buying a new package tray I made mine out of a thin mica board. The stuff that has holes in it that you hang on your garage walls to hang hooks and tools on ( only with no holes ).  I then used the old package tray as a template for size and shape. Then, I covered it with vinyl using liberal amounts of upholstery glue. The rear and ends of the package tray are slipped under the window weather striping for a nice fitment and the rear seat speaker holds down the center without distortion of the package tray. Worked for me and always looked nicer than a piece of painted cardboard.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

clusterbuster

Thanks Jim. I didn't have anything left to make a pattern with, but I like your idea. Since I already have one, I will make due with what I have. What type of vinyl did you put on it, and where can I find some? I will get some and glue it down. The previous owner of my sedan put dual speakers in the rear and they were just laying in there. He put an aftermarket radio under the dash, which looks pretty nice. In the day I knew a guy who could have fixed the radio in the dash. He used to fix the TV's and radios when they first come out. An old guy. I guess I can run screws down through new speaker grilles, through the package tray and speakers and then through the body. Thanks again.  Don

JimNolan

I found it at a fabric store. It was material to make furniture out of I guess. It had a leather like appearance to it. I took the ashtray along with me so I could match the color. Worked out good. Good Luck

suede57ford

I made one out of fiber board then covered it with automotive grade black tweed material.   This enabled me to cover up the 6x9 speakers so they are totally hidden, as the sound comes through the material.    I made an "X" in the fiberboard over the speaker, so the material would lay smooth over it.

The grain in the tweed looks a lot like the original fiberboard pattern and the tweed is UV resistant.

Hidding the speakers goes with my hidden radio under the hinged radio delete plate.

I did put an "XM" antenna on the rear deck too, so it is inside the car and barely noticeable.   I use a under seat antenna so I have nothing external to show I have a radio, which looks radio delete and a theft deterant.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Zapato

Just be sure whatever material you use is UV protected or it will fade horribly.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

The gray vinyl I used in mine came from Joanne's fabrics...a national chain. It is a marine grade, so designed to resist weather, uv, etc. It's the gray in the door panels in my avatar, as well as the steering wheel center section. The light tan vinyl on the dash and console is a different animal..costs twice what other good vinyls costs @ 27-30ish a yard, but is the most stretchable which is what I needed. Had to drive to Dallas to get it. If your gonna fiddle with alot of reupholstering, don't waste your time or money on any of the aerosol glues. I don't care who makes it, 3M, or other top manufacturers.... THEY WON'T HOLD. Get a can of automotive grade weldwood contact cement. Cheaper in the long run..less than $30 gallon. That, vs, aerosols is a bunch more glue, and this stuff holds. I used their strongest, made for Landau tops. Spray it or brush it. Make sure you wrap the vinyl around the edges to the backside of your board and glue the back also.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Clusterbuster, thanks! you know why, need your snail address. thanks! again.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

geraldchainsaw

would any one have a picture,  i don't know what they are,  thanks    jerry

suede57ford

That similar to the satellite antenea I use.   I put a strip of velcro onthe back of it, so it fastens to the tweed rear deck material.  You can put  light coa tof paint on the antenea so it is less noticabke as well.

It is placed very close to the bottom of the back window so the most of it shows through the window.   Sort of near the rear window gasket.

Teh rear window is pretty wide and flat so the satellite antenea has a good veiw of the sky.

The reception is actually very good. very few intererence issues. 
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

JimNolan

Quote from: geraldchainsaw on 2014-09-18 07:13
would any one have a picture,  i don't know what they are,  thanks    jerry
Jerry, they changed topics on you in the middle of the stream, that's all. I think the post started out as how to make a package tray, went to XM radio antenna's and then made it to welding horn rings. If it's something about package trays you want to know about just read the first few posts. Jim

hotroddonnie

I had nothing there when I bought my car, so I used  cardboard pieces for a template and taped them all together, traced it onto a fibre board. Then after I made sure it fit I took it out and covered it with a black vinyl from a fabric shop....and yes my wife came with me! HRD