News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

quick electrical question for you electronic gurus

Started by hiball3985, 2013-03-01 17:29

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Is there a positive or negative side to a resistor? I'm finished painting the dash and have only one electrical thing to finish before assembly starts.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

JimNolan

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

hiball3985

JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Alex L.

Unless you're talking about a variable resistor?

hiball3985

Quote from: Alex L. on 2013-03-02 12:15
Unless you're talking about a variable resistor?
It's just a standard resistor, if there is such a thing..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

ok, this is going back to electric shop class freshman year in the 60s, if used in series voltage will only flow one way can be used to keep any voltage to spike back, but at the same time if backwards in the circuit well it just a shut off valve. relying on 45 plus years of memory on this one so hopefully someone will chime in.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

hiball3985

Quote from: Zapato on 2013-03-03 10:23
ok, this is going back to electric shop class freshman year in the 60s, if used in series voltage will only flow one way can be used to keep any voltage to spike back, but at the same time if backwards in the circuit well it just a shut off valve. relying on 45 plus years of memory on this one so hopefully someone will chime in.

Zap- :unitedstates:
That was my problem, a lot of what I learned in the 60's about electronics is now kind of fuzzy. I got it wired in and tested so I should be alright..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Alex L.

Zap, that sounds like a diode? I'm pretty sure a regular resistor is a two way thing, like a light bulb.

hiball3985

Quote from: Alex L. on 2013-03-03 12:48
Zap, that sounds like a diode? I'm pretty sure a regular resistor is a two way thing, like a light bulb.
I'm using it as a path with resistance if the light bulb goes out.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: Alex L. on 2013-03-03 12:48

I agree 100 percent with Alex L.

Ford Blue blood

Resistors don't care which way current flows, diodes will only allow current to flow one way. 

The most common use of diodes in automobiles is isolation and "back swing" protection.  Back swing is the voltage generated when the electromagnetic field around a realy coil (or any coil for that matter) collapses, that voltage is the opposite polarity of the control voltage used to operate the relay.

I believe you are talking about the resistor that is used to provide "keep alive" voltage to the alternator or generator regulators should the indicator bulb burn out....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2013-03-03 14:09
I believe you are talking about the resistor that is used to provide "keep alive" voltage to the alternator or generator regulators should the indicator bulb burn out....
Yes thats exactly what I'm doing..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang