News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Gas tank questions

Started by Limey57, 2014-01-01 05:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Couple of questions regarding the gas tank on my Ranchero:

1.  What colour should it be, black or silver?

2. Anyone used the POR gas tank sealer?  Seems to get good reviews but I'd be interested to hear any comments on it (or other/better products).

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

hotroddonnie

First question I have is, do they make a POR in a spray can? Don't ever remember seeing any. I asked that question because of the brush strokes, it sets quick. 

Frankenstein57

Gary, I sealed mine with a kit from KBS coatings, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. The leftover product I poured into the windshield cowl where I had some holes, it dried to the hardest thing I've ever seen. They have a website with video demonstrations, and real testimonials. Check them out, Mark

hotroddonnie

Well after checking the web, I found out they do make paint in a spray.

RICH MUISE

I've heard alot of good things in general about KBS, honestly never tried them because I was pretty much beyond that stage when a number of guys were pushing that brand over the por 15 products. Bought a por15 sealer kit years ago..never used it, as I decided to go with a new tank.
Limey...I'm not sure any of the tanks were painted from the factory..maybe the Rancheros are an exception.
Donnie..where to start..I'm a por-15 freak..in fact have some dried on my hands as I'm typing this.
Just for clarification..POR-15 is a brand with a ton of products, but it is centered around their original POR-15 product (black Paint Over Rust)which is the one generally thought of when using the por-15 "tag"..my comments are about that particular product.
Por-15 is not available in sprays unless something new has come out. If it was, it would be a one time use spray can. I wouldn't put it in a good spray gun either.
POR-15 does not dry fast except on your skin....4 minutes, but on a warm day it will take at least 4 hours for it to dry on metal.
Flow out is excellent..you will have no brush marks.
Surface preperation is more critical on this product than anything else you've probably worked with. It will not stick to smooth shiney surfaces. Sandblast surface is ideal.
You shouldn't use it on items that are going to be topcoated with a finish non por-15 paint.
I could go on for pages about por-15, so I won't. Just a few comments..Follow directions 100%.
Even with all the problem areas that can arise if not prepped properly, I flat out would not do a car without por-15 products. Understand their limitations.
If you have any specific questions..ask away..otherwise as I said I could go on for pages.
You found a spray?..got a link?
Sorry, Limey..didn't mean to sidetrack the thread.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hotroddonnie

Rich my reply won't be as long. Went on the POR web site, had a quik look noticed they sell chassis paint and others in a spray can. As far as brush strokes any thing I've seen done with a brush I've always seen signs of brush strokes in one way or another. I prefer to spray thats why I asked the question. All good here Rich were learning things and that's a good thing. Im a house painter been one for 34 years so brush strokes I can relate to! HRD

Jeff Norwell

I like the tank to like the frame..black.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

RICH MUISE

When I first read about this stuff, my first thought was ...brush the paint? Not on my car. You will not have brush strokes, trust me, and you don't even need a high quality brush.
The chasis paint, even though made by por-15 is not the same as the por-15 product. Confusing I know. The Por-15 is actually not a paint in the technical sense. It is an ecapsulator that seals the metal. No solvents evaporating to cause microfine porosity..it actually works similar to an 2 part epoxy, in the case of por-15, the second component is moisture that it absorbs from the air to activate. The chassis paint in the spray is not an ecapsulator, does not perform the same function.
I saw a demo on this stuff once where they por-15'd a metal strip, and then folded it in half after drying...with no cracks in the por-15. Can be used as an adhesive as well..hard as nails, but flexible.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BWhitmore

My Ranchero tank, a reproduction made by Bob Drake, is the dull silver color (not painted).

Frankenstein57

Rich, I got into the KBS products after finding their gas tank sealer on a google search. Much like you and your loyalty to por15, I'm a believer in the KBS stuff. I'm sure if I used the por15 first, I'd have stuck with them. KBS has a motor coater system, that is a brush on product, after you warm up the engine it flows out like glass, amazing stuff, and no overspray if the engine is in the car. Just my 2cents worth,  New years day and I'm bored as hell, time to turn on the shop furnace.........maybe I can make one of those lists like Troy did............ :003:

hotroddonnie

Holy crap! I wish I sat beside you in school LOL! I've used the manifold paint on my GTO and I do have to say I was happy! My friend did his frame and it wasnt so good, but he's not that handy.

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: hotroddonnie on 2014-01-01 10:28
Holy crap! I wish I sat beside you in school LOL! I've used the manifold paint on my GTO and I do have to say I was happy! My friend did his frame and it wasnt so good, but he's not that handy.

But was he Handsome?(Red Green)
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

SkylinerRon

You can put Por-15 on with a roller and it will self level.
If you spray on some auto primer lightly while the Por-15 is still tacky you can spray paint over it later. (per Por-15).
Gas tanks were plated not painted OEM.

Goodluck,

Ron.

electricalan

Limey,I just finished redoing my original tank I used a product called Redcoat from Damon Industries.It is a flexable polymer that will not crack and not affected by fuel once cured.I also used thier exterior product as well.It does show the brush strokes.I just used a cheap disposable brush though.I painted the can lid with a coat and folded it in half after it cured and had no cracking.They have good info on line if you google RED COAT damon industries.
                          Good luck AL
Returning from a long hibernation!!!