News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero & Station Wagon Gas Tank Question

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-10-15 18:53

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

When I bought my Ranchero, it did not have a gas tank nor the mounting straps or mounting hardware. I do have the filler pipe and now have a new tank. As I'm putting parts orders together, I looked for the straps and  mounting hardware and whatever is needed to connect the filler pipe to the tank, and I've found nothing.
1)What have you Ranchero and Station Wagon owners used to hang the tank? Can straps from another style '57 be altered to work?
2)What hardware do I need? I don't even known what I need looks like. Can the hardware, like  the straps, from another style '57 be used, altered , etc.?
3)What have you used, to connect the filler pipe to the tank?
Thanks
John

hiball3985

The filler neck uses an O ring where the neck slips into the tank. I just got one from the local Ace hardware store.
Don't know if the passenger car straps will work I had the originals. Where the straps mount at the rear I had to replace the studs, they were pretty much rusted away, I welded in some J bolts? they look like a L
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Contibob

The straps for the Ranchero and Station Wagons are specific to those models. Passenger car straps won't work. They mount differently at the front of the tank and I don't think they are long enough. Bob

BWhitmore

Bob is correct, the Ranchero and wagon tank straps are different.  They also use a different strap bolt at the rear.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-10-15 19:53
The filler neck uses an O ring where the neck slips into the tank. I just got one from the local Ace hardware store.
Don't know if the passenger car straps will work I had the originals. Where the straps mount at the rear I had to replace the studs, they were pretty much rusted away, I welded in some J bolts? they look like a L
Thanks. The filler pipe looked like it required an "O" ring. I was looking for confirmation. Thanks
I've got the body on a cart right now, and I can see the front strap mount hooks that are part of the body.The studs at the rear.....do they screw into a caged or welded in nut?  I can't see that part of the body while it is on the cart.
Thanks
John

KYBlueOval

Quote from: BWhitmore on 2015-10-15 21:13
Bob is correct, the Ranchero and wagon tank straps are different.  They also use a different strap bolt at the rear.
As always, y'all answer my questions, and set me straight. Anyone know where there is a Ranchero or Staion Wagon Parts Car, where I could possibly get the straps?
I've seen and heard references to a guy in Wis. or Minn. that has a lot of '57 parts cars, but I don't recall the name. Does this ring a bell with anyone here on the Forum?

hiball3985

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2015-10-16 03:35
Thanks. The filler pipe looked like it required an "O" ring. I was looking for confirmation. Thanks
I've got the body on a cart right now, and I can see the front strap mount hooks that are part of the body.The studs at the rear.....do they screw into a caged or welded in nut?  I can't see that part of the body while it is on the cart.
Thanks
John
John, I don't recall exactly how those rear studs were mounted as they were just about completely rusted away. My son did most of this repair because he does better with a Mig then me. We had to weld some sheet metal in at those areas and used J bolts. We welded the J bolts from inside the bed, we had the bed floor off at that time.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Limey57

Page 2 of my Ranchero project build shows the relevant area: http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=2427.15

The bolts are like coach-bolts, one goes in through the redundant spare tire well, the other is bent through 90 degrees and goes into a hole in the inner rear panel.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Partsman

I am quite sure I have a pair of straps and may also have the bolts.  Let me know if you still need the.  I parted out several Ranchero's and I never throw anything away.
Bill

KYBlueOval

YES Sir I still need them.........straps and bolts if you have them. I don't throw much out either. I've been accused of making a copy of a paper things , before I throw the original away!
I'll send you a P.M. right now.
Thanks
John