News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero / Station Wagon Gas Tank Sending Unit Question

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-10-22 04:33

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Months ago I bought a reproduction gas tank for my Ranchero, with out a sending unit. Since I bought it I've found that the sending unit for these tanks is a bit unusual, hard to find and expensive. I contacted the E-bay seller   tomsclassic   (from whom I purchased the tank ) and asked about buying the sending unit for a Ranchero / Wagon Tank . He directed me to one of his E-bay listings that had one of those fitment charts. So I plugged in '57 Ranchero, and the chart says it does not fit the Ranchero. So, I contact  tomsclassic  and describe what their fitment chart tells me and ask if there is another sending unit for Rancheros and Wagons.

Here is the reply"The sending unit mounts in the top of the tall area on the Ranchero tank which is the same depth as the passenger car tank. I would believe that  from the factory the units had different part numbers, but we use the passenger car unit as a replacement and have not had any complaints"

My question to the Forum is this.......does this sound right to you? Anyone out there have experience using a passenger car sender in a Ranchero/Wagon?  The seller is correct about the tall area on one side of the Ranchero / Wagon tank but I'm not sure that given the shape of these Ranchero / Wagon gas tanks, that the passenger car sender can give an accurate reading. As Always I look to the Forum for your comments, and experience.
Thanks
John

hiball3985

John, I tried that and it didn't work for me. I also tried a cheap Chinese replacement one that was claimed to be for the Ranchero/wagon didn't work. After looking for months one day a new oem popped up on Ebay and I grabbed it but it cost me $125  :005: There is a guy who rebuilds them if you still have your old one.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I guess I need to google Ranchero gas tank so I'll know what they look like, and maybe understand why an adjustable universal type, like Tanks Inc. sells, won't work.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-10-22 07:40
I guess I need to google Ranchero gas tank so I'll know what they look like, and maybe understand why an adjustable universal type, like Tanks Inc. sells, won't work.
One difference is the Ranchero/Wagon sending unit arm has a dog leg bend to off set the float..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KYBlueOval

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-10-22 06:25
John, I tried that and it didn't work for me. I also tried a cheap Chinese replacement one that was claimed to be for the Ranchero/wagon didn't work. After looking for months one day a new oem popped up on Ebay and I grabbed it but it cost me $125  :005: There is a guy who rebuilds them if you still have your old one.
Wish I did have the old one. Got my Ranchero with out a tank, thus no sender.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-10-22 07:40
Spoke to Tanks, and they did not have a sender for the Wagon / Ranchero Tank.
I then Googled "  '57 Ford Ranchero Gas Tank Sending Unit " and got  Classic Car Auto Parts. They also list both the passenger car and the Ranchero / Wagon as using the same sending unit. I called them, and they said that the listing was correct , that Rancheros and Passenger Cars use the same sender, per their supplier, and they have had no complaints.
I'll look for an original.............anyone out there have one for sale?  New or Used!

gasman826

I had two of the wagon senders but they were so rusted that there was no rebuild.  Since NOS ones are so few and far between (and it doesn't mean they work), I took a shot at a cheapo eBay sender.  It was only 25 bucks but it was stainless and was listed to fit 1st gen Thunderbirds.  I bent the float rod a little to simulate the wagon sender.  O-ring was included.  I used a little RTV.  Only issue was the sender must be 'clocked' so the float doesn't foul on the side of tank.  There was no tab to keep the sender from turning when I tightening the locking ring.  I just marked the sender and held it so it didn't rotate.  I installed the 20 gallon tank.  Empty the gauge showed empty.  I added five gallons of gas and the gauge showed 1/4.  Added another five...1/2...another five...3/4...filled it and gauge showed full.  I've run near 8700 miles this summer on the Raunch Wagon and haven't run out of gas yet.  When I fill up, I usually check the gallons purchased against the gauge and has been right there each time.  Ya' probably cheap, off shore manufactured crap, but it fills the hole until I find something better.

KYBlueOval

Gasman that is good news and encouraging as well. My situation is that I do not have an old Ranchero / Wagon sender to use as a guide to bend the T'Bird to Ranchero shape.
I'm sending you a P.M. on this.
Thanks
John

gasman826

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2015-10-23 05:13
My situation is that I do not have an old Ranchero / Wagon sender to use as a guide to bend the T'Bird to Ranchero shape.
Thanks
John
As I wrote that post, it was in the back of my mind that you didn't have an old one to use for a pattern.  I've moved and those crumbing senders did not make the cut.  They were trashed.  Maybe someone else has one to use as a pattern.  If you see a T-Bird and wagon sender side by side, you might be surprised how little tweeking it takes.  Trusting my memory (which is dangerous), the float rod just needed a little bending downward so the float made it to the bottom of the tank.  I was not concerned so much with the gauge showing me when it was full (I just filled up...I know it is full). I wanted indication of an empty tank BEFORE I ran out of gas.  It was just a plus that the rest of the gauge readings came out correct.

Oldmics

Heres a good read with pictures showing the Ranchero (also 58 Edsel wagon) sending unit.

The poster was supposed to offer the units. I don't know if he has gotton to be able to offer them as of yet.

Heres the link.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171813

Also - the following link is what I did with a regular passenger car sending unit and the Edsel (Ranchero) float arm to make that sending unit work.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/topic66047.aspx

Perhaps if you can acquire the sending unit float arm from the other poster you could follow my procedure to get a working device for your car.

Oldmics

KYBlueOval

Quote from: gasman826 on 2015-10-23 08:18
As I wrote that post, it was in the back of my mind that you didn't have an old one to use for a pattern.  I've moved and those crumbing senders did not make the cut.  They were trashed.  Maybe someone else has one to use as a pattern.  If you see a T-Bird and wagon sender side by side, you might be surprised how little tweeking it takes.  Trusting my memory (which is dangerous), the float rod just needed a little bending downward so the float made it to the bottom of the tank.  I was not concerned so much with the gauge showing me when it was full (I just filled up...I know it is full). I wanted indication of an empty tank BEFORE I ran out of gas.  It was just a plus that the rest of the gauge readings came out correct.
Thanks Gasman.
I'll keep up the hunt.
John

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Oldmics on 2015-10-23 10:54
Heres a good read with pictures showing the Ranchero (also 58 Edsel wagon) sending unit.

The poster was supposed to offer the units. I don't know if he has gotton to be able to offer them as of yet.

Heres the link.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171813

Also - the following link is what I did with a regular passenger car sending unit and the Edsel (Ranchero) float arm to make that sending unit work.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/topic66047.aspx

Perhaps if you can acquire the sending unit float arm from the other poster you could follow my procedure to get a working device for your car.

Oldmics
I spoke with the guy on the FordBarn , back in August, via E-mail. At that point he was not 100% sure he had it correct, and was looking for a few people to try it. I wasn't then , nor now in a position to do any testing, so I passed.
I read your post on the sye you quoted and between what you and "Gasman" have said and done, I'm encouraged that there is a solution.
Thank you.
John

BWhitmore

The wagon/Ranchero tank sending units are specific to wagons/Rancheros.  No other 57 sending unit will work and unfortunately no one is reproducing a sending unit for the wagon /Ranchero.  Try to contact John Wolf & Co, Willoughby,  Ohio (they have a web site). They rebuilt my original stock Ranchero sending unit a few years back and even had the correct square cut O ring.  You may get lucky and they will have either a rebuilt or core wagon /Ranchero sending unit in stock.  If they are able to help you send them your gauge and they will calibrate the sending unit to your gauge. 

KYBlueOval

Quote from: BWhitmore on 2015-10-28 23:27
The wagon/Ranchero tank sending units are specific to wagons/Rancheros.  No other 57 sending unit will work and unfortunately no one is reproducing a sending unit for the wagon /Ranchero.  Try to contact John Wolf & Co, Willoughby,  Ohio (they have a web site). They rebuilt my original stock Ranchero sending unit a few years back and even had the correct square cut O ring.  You may get lucky and they will have either a rebuilt or core wagon /Ranchero sending unit in stock.  If they are able to help you send them your gauge and they will calibrate the sending unit to your gauge.
Thanks.

Wirenut

Not sure if this has been covered but thought I'd chime in on the safety aspect of working on a fuel tank whether swapping out a sending unit or removal of a tank safely. Once the tank has been drained of fuel dry ice can be placed into the tank. Dry ice can be purchased at HEB and most supermarkets and or ice houses. The dry ice will deplete the oxygen which removes one element of the fire triangle. No oxygen no fire potential. The ratio of dry ice to volume is 15 lbs to 1000 gallons of fuel capacity. It doesn't take much for a 20 gallon tank and could save your ride or some skin. Just wanted to share this information for anyone that might have questions about this. The dry ice can be broken or crushed in the bag it comes in and poured directly into the empty tank fuel fill port and within 20 minutes or so it's ready. This only puts the tank in an inert state for a while but will certainly give you time to swap out the sending unit or remove the tank and rinse it out with soap and water to rid all flammable vapors.