News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Vent cables

Started by lewgar, 2017-08-25 18:11

Previous topic - Next topic

lewgar

The working end (curl) of my vent cables have broken off and need to be replaced. Do I have to replace the cable AND the pull knob or just the cable? And if just the cable, then how do I attach the cable to the pull knob? As you can tell from the question, I'm a bit of an amateur so apologize and appreciate any advice that can be offered.....Thx...Garth

gasman826

I've always had spares so I replaced the whole cable.  The knobs have no set screw like the wiper knob.

thomasso

Save yourself a lot of trouble and try to find good used replacement cable assys.   They require very stiff wire and it is very difficult to form the curl without a special tool.   We had wire stock and the tool at dealership years ago but only used on cables with curls on both ends, not used on 57s.  Also difficult to remove wire from knob assembly and recrimp satisfactorally.  Also finished length has to be exact. Tom.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Limey57

I cut the outer sleeve down by an inch & roughly re-bent the end on the inner cable with pliers, finishing it off by bending it round a steel rod as a former.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Ray

I have a couple of sets. I just need to know how to get them to you.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

lewgar

Thanks all for your informative replies. I'm hoping that I'm able to take Ray up on his offer.