News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

E-Code

Started by alvin stadel, 2021-09-04 20:41

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

My E-code is getting very tired. It started smoking out of the down draft tube this summer and is now blowing out oil, gets all over the frame rail on the drivers side.  So as much as I don't want to it looks like it is time for a rebuild.  I know Jay has a E-code so maybe he can answer this.  Is the E-Code block stamped different {#'s} than a regular 312?  I have a 312 block, crank, rods & heads that are all done, and with other necessary parts is ready to put together. I really don't care about #'s just wanting to know if there is any difference in the E-code block and a regular 312. I just want to keep this simple, at my age I like simple. Or would I be better off to s---t can the 312 and go for a FE.   I have been looking for a winter project and now it looks like I have one.  Just looking for a opinon or 2

RICH MUISE

My opinion would depend on whether or not the CAR is an original E-Code. If it is, I would think it would lose a lot of its value changing to anything other. Beyond that, I'll leave the opinions to the y block and FE guys.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

lalessi1

I agree with Rich in that if the car was an original E code... but is you are looking for driver I would consider an FE. A more modern engine than a Y block with not as many problems. It is a bolt on swap so it can be reversed easily and the upgrade in performance it considerable. Parts are easier to come by as well and the car will retain a vintage feel and sound.
Lynn

hiball3985

Block is the same. If you decide on the rebuild just be aware that the torque values of 130-145 listed at the bottom of the page in the shop manuals for the main cap bolts are wrong. Use 95-105 like any other Y.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

alvin stadel

Thanks for the opinions, I have couple of months to make up my mind. The E-code is not original to the car, and I have put a lot of miles on it, so it may be time to do something different.

hiball3985

Correction, it's wasn't in the 57 manual, I don't recall where it was listed. I just remember that many cracked blocks were attributed to the torque value being to high
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Alvin
    There is nothing wrong with a nice sweet running FE block and most likely the parts would be easier to find compared to a Y block
which are getting tough to find.

From my experience I concluded that It does not matter what the casting marks are on the Y block.  They can be interpreted whatever way someone wants them to be.
    If you look at your crank flange and find the so-called button, there is about a 95% chance that it is a 312.
    All 312 main bearing caps are marked ECZ.  If  your main bearing caps are marked ECZ, you have a 312
    Other main bearing caps are marked EBU.
     I never heard of special stamps or marks on the Y block for E code
      I hope that this helps.    Jay

59meteor

I love FEs about as much as anybody, having raced them since the mid 70s, and I have a 428 Cobra Jet in my 59 Tudor, BUT the look of a Y Block with the factory 2x4 setup and the factory E Code air cleaner is just so damn cool. And if you already have another 312 ready to put together, that is the route I would be tempted to go. That said, if you had somebody waving a checkbook at you, wanting that 312 stuff, that would be a different situation.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

alvin stadel

You are right, the top side of the E-code does look cool.  At most shows, or when the hood is open I always get to answer a lot of ?. I have never had any problems with the carbs, the old girl always wants to go.  I have thought about selling the intake, carbs and air cleaner, but have no idea what they a worth or how much to ask. I am sure if I do sell them I will have sellers remorse, like I did when I sold my 57 bird.

hiball3985

Don't sell them, you will regret it. And remember the valley cover for the Dual quads is different and probably worth as much as the manifold..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2021-09-06 09:50
Don't sell them, you will regret it. And remember the valley cover for the Dual quads is different and probably worth as much as the manifold..

As some of you may already know.  A few years ago when James was passing through Boston, he rented a car at the airport and came  to visit me and to see my car.  He told me that the original inverted Y block valley pan was very rare and worth as much as the dual quad intake.
      So Mr. Hiball  you are correct again.

Alvin
       If you have all of those original , pieces, think twice before selling them.  I Know what you are saying about how people like to see that factory dual quad intake and that very unusual looking factory dual quad air cleaner.  Do some serious investigating of your Y block engine and all of those spare Y block parts before you sell something that will be very difficult to replace.  Every time I open my hood , people are all around the car looking at the dual quad setup.

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2021-09-06 12:54
    As some of you may already know.  A few years ago when James was passing through Boston, he rented a car at the airport and came  to visit me and to see my car.  He told me that the original inverted Y block valley pan was very rare and worth as much as the dual quad intake.
      So Mr. Hiball  you are correct again.
Unfortunately I have seen people spend big dollars for a manifold and not get the valley cover with it and then trying to locate one with little or no luck and then the sticker shock when they do find one :005:.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang