News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Touring the USA in a 57 Wagon ...

Started by Kai, 2018-02-18 23:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

One might wonder how they do it. Things that were possible some time ago may no longer be possible. A car registered and insured in Germany is only covered in European countries. No one hinders them to drive to or in other countries, but they are not covered. There used to be a German insurance company giving insurance to people shipping their RVs to the US for example. Currently they won't even do that. So if you see a German registered RV (and I have seen many during my trips) then do not get into an accident with them. I have also seen German RVs with a long expired inspection sticker. US cops probably do not know how to read them.

I did the Hot Rod power tour last year and have not seen any foreign registered cars (may be some Canadian). I have also been to Drag Week last year. The Europeans were all stuck in customs and did not make it out in time. I only saw the Ford Taunus from I think Estonia and would not be surprised if he had no insurance.

Kai
Hanau/Germany
1954 F100, 347 SBF, 6-speed --> sold
1957 Wagon, 312 YB, 5-speed
1965 Galaxie 500XL, 446 FE, 5-speed --> sold !
1965 F100 SWB, 352FE, 3-speed, soon 331 SBF, 6-speed
1967 Mustang Convertible, 306 SBF, C4
1969 Bronco, 302 SBF, 3-speed