News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Battery Ground Location

Started by lalessi1, 2016-12-09 14:47

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I am trying to "restore" some aspects of my car. The car had the battery in the trunk when I got it but that doesn't fit my "vision". I bought an original battery tray, repop hold down stuff, repopped cables and a Motocraft 29NF battery . My question... does anybody know where the negative battery cable would have been grounded to the car from the factory? Nit pickin compulsive stuff I know but I deserve the affliction... :003:
Lynn

chapingo17

It grounds directly on the engine by the generator bracket. Also I believe there's another ground from one of the starter bolts to the chassis.

lalessi1

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I thought that was probably the case. I have the ground strap between the engine and body where I remembered it being. The battery in the trunk was grounded to the frame with no specific ground to the engine.
Lynn

hiball3985

The battery ground goes to the engine, then there is a ground strap from the engine to the firewall originally. I don't recall one going to the frame but it sounds like a good idea and it's been on my list.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I don't think Ford grounded the frame either. My battery in the trunk was grounded to the frame but the engine wasn't. When I got the car I had starter issues as a result, so I grounded the engine to the frame. I was going to ground the new battery to the frame too thinking that is what Ford did. The new OEM length battery cable didn't find any frame connections, hence the question. I could have grounded the battery to the body but the engine makes more sense. No reason for Ford to have grounded the frame originally.
Lynn

hiball3985

You are correct, there is no reason to ground the frame and Ford didn't do it. I'm just one of those people who thinks the more grounds the better  :003:. I never liked the cheesy little OEM ground strap from the engine to the body either, I'm going to improve that also.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

The frame is not a good ground because of the all the rubber mounts.

Ron.

chapingo17

I agree more grounds are better then less.