News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57-ford rearends.

Started by dmraymond, 2007-01-31 20:22

Previous topic - Next topic

dmraymond

I know this may sound stupid ,but I don't know how to tell 8 inch from 9 inch rearends.could someone help me. also what year cars would I look for a rearend.  Thanks for yor help. Just found the site again, its been a great help, I have learned alot with more to go.

Hoosier Hurricane

DM:

If you can get a socket on the two bottom nuts holding the third member into the housing, it is an 8 inch.  A 9 inch requires a box or open end wrench to get those two nuts off.

John

shopratwoody

as for years, 57,58 & 59 should be the same widths. I don't know how wide Big Block 67, 68 etc Mustangs were.
Hard to find anyway.
Good Luck, Ron
I hate blocksanding!

JimNolan

dmraymond,
   It's my understanding that the 57,58,59,60 Fords had a 8 3/4 inch rear. The 9 inch came into existance in 61. The 9 inch guts were heavier and would fit the 8 3/4 housing though. The axles were interchangeable (28 spline).The socket trick on the bottom hog head bolts holds true with the 8 3/4 inch. The tag on my rear end says 3.70 L. That wasn't produced until 1959. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

shopratwoody

Jim, you really got some bad info there.
Later, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

JimNolan

Shopratwoody,
    I hope you're right but the info comes from Lou Champeau on the 57Ford.com website. I've had correspondance from him on different things and he's proven right on everything I've pondered so far. He's the only guy that knew why I had an E-code insignia on my glove box when it didn't come with (2) 4 barrels or a supercharger. Go to Specifications and the last page of Engines and Transmissions section. You'll find what he has to say about 9 inch rears there.
   My Ford manual doesn't have a posi-traction listed until 1959 so I can't think it came with my 57.
   Parts for my 57 are hard to find. Try finding a tapered axle for a early posi-traction rear end. Try finding an 11 inch clutch disc with 10 splines and a 1 inch shaft, a cluster gear for a T85 with 29-25-19-15 teeth. Most people haven't even heard of the things I look for when restoring my 57, worse yet they tell me Ford didn't even make such parts. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

ECODE70D57FORD

Jim Nolan...
If you see this message, would you please  tell me more about that E code insignia in the glove box.  I have an E Code but never noticed it there.
Jay