News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wiring Harness

Started by markman, 2007-02-03 18:21

Previous topic - Next topic

markman

What is the best way to rewire?  I'm looking at a universal Painless wiring harness.  Is this a good choice?  Anything better out there?

Thanks
Mark

briney

markman,

There are several out there. I selected American Auto Wire series Highway 15. It fits real nice under the dash on the drivers side above the kick plate. I really like it. the Highway 22 has more fuses for things like electric fans and such.

Patrick

Dallas, TX  :unitedstates:
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

markman

Thanks
I found them online, they look good.  Was the Highway 15 labeled fairly well or is there a lot of geuss work?

Mark

57AGIN

Markman:

I went with the Painless Street 18 circuit non-Gm Keyed in my Custom 300 rehab project.  I am very happy with it and it was easy to work with.  I even put the fuse panel on the passenger side to make it easier to access  (keeps it out of the way of the e-brake).  Naturally this involved some lengthening of a number of the ignition, headlights, gauges, etc., but all in all it was a relativel painless install (pun definitely intended).

Here's a couple of shots of the install and the finished (behind an upholstered box) fuse panel.  One great thing is no more worries about shorts, opens and frayed original wiring.  Cruising is lots mor fun.

Bob
57AGIN

Fairlane500Ron

Bob
What kind of seats are in your 57 shown here?   Passenger side panel fuse box adj.jpg
Nice looking
Ron

briney

Markman,

The Highway 15 is clearly marked with plenty of diagrams. I have the fuse block mounted just over the E brake handle. I will shoot a picture tomorrow and post. What I like about this unit, and others may not, is that the wires are over length and you run the wires from the lights, alt, and other accessories back to fuse block, then cut the wire the and terminate it in the block. If you are planning on running things like electric fans or a high powered stereo system, I would recommend the Highway 22 model it has a couple more fuses and relays.

Patrick  :unitedstates:
Dallas, TX

57AGIN

Ron:

They are Glide Engineering front seats, actually built & marketed for 57 Chevys so the mounting holes don't match (no big deal).  I'll be posting a set of photos on my interior and upholstery in the Member Rides section in the Building My Custom 300 (it will be on page 3).

Bob
57AGIN

RAWms

I went with http://www.itsasnapwireandcable.com/  22 circuit for a couple of reasons.  I mounted to the left of the steering column.  All of the wires leave the fuse block on the same side, it is the smallest about the size of a cigarette pack, uses the new micro fuses, is marked every 12" or so, and to my surprise the least cost at $128.  In my trade off analysis and question list I asked them about that.  I have the front lighting to go but very happy with the product.    Good luck, r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

DanTudor57

I Went to http://www.itsasnapwireandcable.com/  and could not find anything on universal wiring harnesses....

Anyone care to estimate the number of hours they have spend getting teh rewire completed?

briney

Markman,

Here is a picture of where my fuse block is located.  Not e the hood pull cable running just below were the box is mounted.  If you also look you will see where I have not taped or zip-tied the together under the dash due to some future plans I have.

I spent about 3 evenings ripping the old stuff out and about 5 evenings putting it back in.  I would mention that I used a very small portion of the original harness for the dash lights (socket hook-ups).  The sell reproductions at Mac's and Concourse Parts, but I wasn't interested in forking out the money. 

I also picked up a couple long tube of heat shrink wrap to seal where the wire contacts met to keep them weather resistant. I also picked up a couple feet of Black inter-ducting to run the wires in under the hood.  See attached picture of inter-ducting along the firewall. I also had to rework the license plate light sockets with late model inserts, keeping the original stock appearance which included grounding them to the frame.

Hope this helps.

Patrick
Dallas TX  :unitedstates:

RAWms

DanTudor57,
I called ItsASnap and sure enough they are not producing them any more because of the doubling of wire prices I was told.  When wire comes down they will start up again.  Seems strange to me and disappointing since I need another one for another car.  Heck, raise the price.  r

...as of Apr 2007

markman

Thanks for all the pictures, and advice. I hope to up and cruising this summer.  I'll post some pictures of my 70A when done.

Mark

RAWms

On a whim I called ItsASnap to ask them to put me on a list if they were to start making their harness again.  While they did not have any they told me P&B Enterprises still have the harnesses.  P&B travels the show circuit.  Luckily this last weekend they were at the Goodguys show here in San Diego. 

I bought another one that I plan to re-wire my '40 when I install the IFS.   Of course after the Ranchero is on the road.  This one has Smart Fuses in it which light up when blown.  There is a high impedance circuit in the fuse for the lamp/diode.  Handy when these boxes are in dark places.  It was $159 + tax.

P&B is at 912-660-9032

r

...as of Apr 2007

Ford Blue blood

My new Street Scene has a full page add from "itsasnap" and they have the 22 circuit kit in the add for $168.  Must be they are back?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II