Upper radiator hose for a 351W using stock radiator, Part# Goodyear 61494

Started by RAWms, 2007-03-12 23:45

Previous topic - Next topic

RAWms

A tid bit for those with the issue of a 351W (Goose neck at approx. 45 degrees forward) using a stock '57 radiator. (Edited 3/13, I modified the upper radiator hose connection moving it to the driver side from the passenger side)   Upper radiator hose CAN BE a Goodyear 61494.  It is a pre-formed hose; Not a flex hose as I found they kink attempting to make the turns.  Must cut approx 1" off the radiator neck side.  I have no idea what this hose is for.  I made a coat hanger model and went to Kragens.  I bought any hose that looked like it would work.  A little trimming and a fit is made.  I will take the others back tomorrow.

Man, is this stuff fun or what?

r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

bagboy

I used hoses for 66 must v/8 Are you building a shroud ? :003:

RAWms

I forgot to state that I had to modify and move the top tank connection to the drivers side.   That is because the AC compressor ran smack dab into the radiator connection.   Sorry about that missing important detail. 

Bob (57Agin) has the neat setup for installing the AC compressor on the passenger side.   I should have used a six cylinder radiator but did not know while in the early stages of the car's planning.

r

Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

57AGIN

RAWms & Bagboy:

Roger, thanks for the compliment.  It sure wasn't because I had a grand design in assembling the engine compartment.  The fact that my 57 was originally a 6 cyl probably helped me out a bit.  I was able to use the stainless steel flex hose for radiator hose and for the heater, too.  I haven't had any problems so far with either.  While in the process of redoing the engine compartment, I had the original 6 cyl radiator rebuilt and upgraded.  But, it still couldn't cool the 351W while idling or in traffic.  So I wound up having Matson build an aluminum radiator with a fan shroud and c pair of electric fans.  It keeps the engine in a good temperature operating range, but kind of sounds like a 747 while operating at idle.

Bob
57AGIN