News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Another seal question

Started by FORDNUT, 2007-03-21 05:47

Previous topic - Next topic

FORDNUT

Anybody with Rancheros or wagons know where to get the seal for the gas tank filler pipe? Evertime I filled the old wagon up, it would dump gas on the ground. Never having a wagon before, I thought the tank and neck would be one piece.  :dumbass: When I crawled under there, I see that someone did not get the seal around the pipe entirely into the tank opening. It may be that I can't read but I dont find it in any of my parts books.
At my age I am not required to act mature.

briney

FORDNUT,

All you need is an O-ring.  I replaced mine when I cleaned my tank out.  You basically loosen the filler neck, lower the tank and inset the O-ring at the end of the filler tube. There is a ridge that will let it only go so far on the neck.  You then stuff the tube back in the tank as you raise the tank.  I also believe the wagons and rancheros also use a vented gas cap which is different than the passenger cars due the fact there is no built in vent system in the wagons or rancheros.
The o-ring basically just compresses outside of the filler neck against the inside of the lip of the gas tank.
Concours has the o-ring, the part number is 370322-S  57/59 Filler neck to tank O-ring, cost about $2.00.

I think RAWas has the part number for the vented gas cap.  I don't have that part number but if you don't have the right cap, I could see where and old o-ring would blow out due to pressure from venting or trying to vent.

Hope this helps.

Patrick   :unitedstates:
Dallas TX
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

FORDNUT

That's what I love about this site. It is hard to have a question that you can't get an answer for. Thanks Patrick.

RAWms

Patrick,
I've been looking for that filler O-ring also and was told they didn't make them so I used my old one.  So far so good but then the tank has not been filled yet.   Thank you for that part number!!!!!

FORDNUT,
Patrick is correct on the vented gas cap and the part number on the C&G invoice is 8A-9030,  49-59 & 51-70 PU Vented gas cap.

r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

FORDNUT

Thanks again gang. We're on the horn today. One small step.....

shopratwoody

R
Steve sent me a couple of those o rings a couple of yrs ago. I guess with the proper dimensions any o ring
would do.
later, Ron  :004:
I hate blocksanding!