News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Brake problem

Started by JimNolan, 2007-04-22 19:50

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   I've got original brakes, wheel cylinders, lines and master cylinder in my 57 Ford. Most everything has been replaced with original equipment. Here is my problem.
   When I first apply the brakes the car wants to vear to the left for an instant. It then brakes normally, but the sudden vearing is disturbing to me. It's like the left wheel cylinder is activated first. I haven't researched the problem yet, I was hoping one of you guys automatically knew what the problem was. I've adusted the brakes numerous times, it still does it.
Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

wolfpupsdad

could really be several things that can your problem  if it was me and everything has just been replaced check wheel cylinders ,the side that is grabing could be larger then the other side , seen that happen, bleed the system again and check for rust or any other contamination, if brake turns were turned check for heal and toe clearance. the shoes maybe needed to be arched. or then again the primary and secondary shoes could be misinstalled. hope this may give a lil to work with

shopratwoody

Mine did that years ago. It turned out it was a flex hose that had rotted inside and shutting the fluid
off to that side momentarily.
Good luck, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

RAWms

I'm suspecting the issue is in the RIGHT wheel cylinder; the right wheel cylinder might be sticking thereby allowing the left to engage first.   

On my '72 Ranchero with front discs I had a similar annoying problem.  I decided to replace both calipers and  problem went away.

How old are ALL of the wheel cylinders?  Did you perform any brake maintenance work recently?

Hydraulics are opposite of what may seem natural.  The smaller the line/bore the more reactive.  The above post by Wolfpupsdad needs to be addressed/considered also.

Good luck, r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

JimNolan

Everyone,
   Thanks for the advice. I know what I'll be doing this weekend. I lied before and didn't realize it. The brake flex hose's in front weren't changed, only the back. Shoe's are good. Drums are good. I'll replace the flex lines and 2 year old wheel cylinders and bleed them this weekend. Thanks again,
Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ford Blue blood

This might be a little too simple but check the adjustment on both sides.  Make sure you have them both set the same.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II