News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Using the Ranchero tire enclosure under the bed

Started by briney, 2006-12-14 14:13

Previous topic - Next topic

briney

:help:
Hey Ranchero Guys,

Have any of you hinged the back of your bed to enable the use spare tire enclosure underneath? I have seen it done on a few Rancheros' and some look good, and some bad.  I was looking for firsthand how-to knowledge as what would work best as far as the type of hinge and exact location of the cut.  Once cut, do you know of an alternative way to secure it closed, rather than using bolts or leaving it loose?

I have considered moving my battery under the front portion of the bed as well.  For emergencies I had planned to put a jump point under the hood.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm tired of keeping the spare in the bed.

Patrick
Dallas, TX
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

RAWms

I cut mine to take advantage of the spare tire space.  I got a stainless steel Continuious Hinge (I called it a piano hinge) from Fastenal.    I measured and temporarily attached with screws the hinge to the aft piece.  The next step will be to position the aft piece and find the home of the hinge to be attached above the third member tunnel.  I will then weld the hinge to the aft piece.

I have body work to finish  on the bed pieces before I finalize it.  My plans are to screw the forward piece with sloted stainless screws.  The aft piece will appear to be the same except the screws will be spot welded in place on the piece and non-functional; asthetic only.

Now to the locking in place.  I have toyed with the idea of a small spring loaded setup that will pop the aft piece enough to get a grip on.  Using a electric trunk latch and hold/release mechanism for the latch.  I haven't engineered that part of the task yet but do have a few parts.  I too am interested in what others have done.

I can take pictures for reference points later as the bed has become a bit of a parking spots for some of the finished front clip pieces.

r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

briney

RAWms,

When you can, shoot a picture or two of what you got and post it.  Maybe others will chime in on this too!

Patrick
Dallas, TX
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

shopratwoody

IMO you guys are asking for more of a rust problem than these things already have. Try and seal that well up as
good as you can. Originally my wheel well rusted out and in turn rusted out my gas tank. What a pain... :bootyshake:
Good Luck, Ron :glasses2:
I hate blocksanding!

RAWms

Ron,
While mine is a driver it is housed at night tucked in a dry warm garage.  Maybe a slight dampness getting home from Costco with a few goodies but nothing the 32 rolls of toilet paper can't tolerate.  But the only major wetness I see in this trucks future is a loose ice cube from an adult beverage and that better be rare.   ... and that person will be banned for months for the first infraction.  Life for a second offense.  I plan to seal that area like Tuck's tomb.    r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007