Brake push rod (Original) vs what MPB are telling. Need your input/help

Started by RAWms, 2006-12-20 19:33

Previous topic - Next topic

RAWms

I bought the complete power brake system from Master Power Brakes.  When I went to install the booster I found the original Ford eccentric is too large to fit the MPB push rod.  Even taking the nylon bushings off the original eccentric is about 0.162 too big.  I have had a two day e-mail discussion and I'm told my push rod is not the correct push rod.  Here is their latest e-mail response:

"Hi Roger
   The original owner of our company had stopped by to say hello and I had showed him the the pictures
    of your push rod and he had not seen your arrangement. We both felt that the push rod may have
    came from something else because the Ford push rod has a nub at the end of it to lock in . The kits
    we supply have been sold for over 25 years without any change in the linkage or push rod."

Here is my response:

"I will check this out at the '57 Ford and other specialty rodding web sites that I participate in.   I will
   also go study the car pedal assembly very closely.    I not convinced you are correct as this car was
    bone stock when I got it and it had been sitting for 17 years before that.  It had the original bellows
    power steering linkage and I did look it over when the dash was out of the car."

What do you guys think?

It is begininng to feel lonely out here...   thx in advance, r

Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

shopratwoody

Roger,
Here's the one from my car, it does have a nub on the end :grandpaSimpson:
I hate blocksanding!

RAWms

Ron,
Can you measure the ring for me?   Also, does your eccentric look like mine?  thx, r

...as of Apr 2007

shopratwoody

Roger,
The I.D. is .625, the O.D. is .880. I don't see a eccentric, it appears round.
Ron :dumbass:
I hate blocksanding!

RAWms

Ron,
What is the size of the bolt that goes through the ring?  Is there an insert? 
r

...as of Apr 2007

57 Ford Kustom

Roger   My sons car and my car brake push rods both have nubs on them like Ron's. ours used a sholdered bolt to bolt to pedal. the only eccentric here is me :038: :023:. also your picture looks like the sholdered bolt with a waffer washer would work. :headbang:

T 8)M
            [unitedstates]
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

RAWms

I will assume there is always an insert that fits into the push rod and rides on that bolt shaft.  Below is a picture of the bolt.  That bolt is the same as everyone's, correct?  If so that means I need to get the proper size insert.  Anyone have an extra insert?  Btw, could this be a '56 setup left over and my car was in the early '57 production?

Thx again, r

...as of Apr 2007

shopratwoody

R,
That doesn't look like the shoulder bolt I remember. Yes they all have the bushing as far as I know.
The mid 70's Mustang MC I used, the orig. bolt and sleeve workd.I just had to make to rod longer. I'll look for you
at the bolt in my car. As for the 56 thing, never had one. :104:
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

RAWms

On my last '57 I used a Maverick MC.  It too bolted right up and used the original '57 push rod.   r

...as of Apr 2007

briney

Roger

My Ranchero's pushrod looks like shopratwoody's and I have a shouldered bolt to attach it to the petal. No eccentric here either.  My ranchero originally came with the bellows "Sure Swift" Power Brake unit too.  Thanks for the picture of the mounting point. I will take a look at mine when I get home from work today.  I just happen to have mine disassembled too as I am putting in my booster. I think your mount point looks a little different from mine I will look tonight.

You would think that all these cars used the same parts but in my experiences they didn't. Three examples I can tell you about are as follows.

1.   Front license plate holes on some cars have two holes close together, "more common"
          others have "slotted horizontal" holes spaced about 6 inches apart.

2.   The FORD letting on the hood was put on some cars but not others.

3.   In regards to Ranchero's, your car has two openings from the Drivers cabin back wall that go under the bed, mine and others do not.

I am sure there are plenty more differences like above, I attribute these differences to what plant and date they were manufactured.
So your brake setup may be a little different than some, yet still be original.  Looking at it however it looks to be modified a little. Fifty years is a long time and lots things could have been changed on the car over time.

Patrick

If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

dgasman

Your rod and eccentric looks exactly like mine , it is also a bellows sure swift brake pedal . I believe the kit from MP Brakes are for the standard brake pedals and not the factory power brakes . The pedal Assembly's are completely different .The geometry is different, that is why ford used a 1 inch bore master for non power and a 1 1/8 inch bore in power cars .
I still have the factory power brakes in my 58 with Granada discs in front and it works great as long as you use the right size master cylinder
Kent
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

briney

Roger,

I read dgasmans posting right after taking pictures of my setup. I found mine to be like yours so I decided to look at my original shop manual on the car. When all else fails look at the book.  I have scanned in the standard brake and power brake setup for you to review. They are a little different. I also attached two pictures of mine.  I had ordered a brake booster from ABS Brakes. It is supposed to be delivered this next week and I expect that I will have the same issue as you. Either way I will let you know. Looking at the manual's pictures the actual pushrod setup is not greatly different than the non-power, but is just enough to not work the way it should.

Let me know what you are planning to do.  If I have the same issue I may follow your path.

Patrick
Dallas TX

briney

Roger

In looking at other diagrams in the book the brake pushrods line up the same on both. All I can figure is that Eccentric must be a little larger in diameter that the non-power units, thereby causing the pushrods to be larger in diameter too. I guess you could either reduce diameter size of the eccentric or increase the diameter of the pushrod opening. 

Maybe someone else has encoutered this and has a simple workaround.

Again I will let you know about my setup when I get it this next week.

Patrick
Dallas TX

RAWms

Briney,
You appear to have exactly the same setup I do.  Mine also is the Swift Sure power brake (originally).  I'm still waiting to hear back from MPB but I'm getting the sense I've been cut loose from the dock and set adrift.  There are a few sources of '57 parts that I will contact to replace the brake arm to match what MPB wants to see and move on with my project; Knotts is only 4 months away.  thx, r

...as of Apr 2007

briney

Roger,

After sleeping on it last night I have elected to do the same.

Patrick
Dallas TX