News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Aftermarket Valley Pan

Started by 57ranchero57, 2006-12-25 09:06

Previous topic - Next topic

57ranchero57

Has anybody had any experience with the valley pans available that are finned aluminum, without any beather /oil fill pipe? Can they be used and still have enough crankcase breathing through the side  bottom breather? Ford changed from the side bottom breather to the rear valley pan road draft tube sometime in the late 50's. If I went to the aluminum finned valley cover, would the engine get enough breathing through the existing side breather?

57 Ford Kustom

I do not believe that the engine will breathe correct with only a outlet , remember that the air comes in thru the fill tube[ by the way how are you going to add oil?] I also want a finned valley cover but need to make a PVC port on rear also, plus the filler tube. Have Fenton Valve covers and refuse to mount any thing on them. :BangHead: Thinking about maybe using a sink tail piece [all ready chromed] and drill a slanted press fit hole in the front right corner if can buy a filler cap that size. :icon_cheers:

T 8)M   :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

57ranchero57

Thanks, those are some of the same concerns I have. I am building this y-block for a 57 Ranchero custom project. I have a set of the Thunderbird valve covers and this valley cover is a nice match, being finned aluminum like the valve covers. This project is going to be custom, not everything back to stock as I have done with other restorations. So the valley pan is something I want to do. I will be using a dip stick oil change pump to add oil. With the limited miles put on , only summer driving, I will only change oil once or twice each year, so I'm not too concerned about the oil fill tube. I think I will look into drilling an outlet hole in this cover in the rear position, like the 55-57 T-birds, then run a draft tube , like the Birds down the back of the engine. I think Ford went to this also in 60-62 on the 292 engine. I could then eliminate the side draft/canister set up that is now on my block.
Anybody else bought and used this Valley cover???? Seems like the manufacturer would not make the cover without some guidance on the crankcase ventilation????

RAWms

On my previous 292 with the side draft canister, the canister had a hose bib on it that went to a pcv valve into the base of the carburetar as I remember. The draft was blocked. I cannot remember how professional it looked now and only assumed it was a Calif. smog add on.  Maybe only a Calif. item in the early days of smog laws.

It was NOT pretty.
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

57 Ford Kustom

Here is another site discussing this problem   http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Topic1920-3-1.aspx  I'm still going to try it but not untill spring.

T 8)M  :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Spare Parts

I can't remember all the details but, STREET RODDER magazine did a series on building the y-block. In the series I rember they put a pcv in the valley cover by drilling a hole and installing a common pvc grommet.You could take the aftermarket cover to a machine shop and have a small area milled flat then have a  hole drilled and do the same thing.If anyone wants I could dig through my old magazines and find the months that covered the build and reprints are probabaly available.

DanTudor57

Could you look through your mags? I tried to buy the set on ebay a while back, but was outbid.. A scan of teh article would be great..

As far as the holes... That should be a simple fix. I converted my canister style '57 engine to the modern pcv style by simply drilling a hole in the rear of my valley pan, using a grommet and the right valve. Then I just cut  some 1/8 iron to fit over the canister hole at the base of the block. They sell the gromment  next to the valve at most auto part stores. The engine is running fine to this day.

I'm planning to modify one of these aluminum covers for pcv, and for oil filler tube. I don't think you need a fancy mill, just a grinder a hole saw,a small propane torch  and the right aluminum rod to weld in the oil filler tube.

I'm going to do this as soon as the aluminum valley cover shows up at my door step. I will take pictures and share once I get to it.