News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

proportioning valve

Started by clubcoupe57, 2006-12-25 13:29

Previous topic - Next topic

clubcoupe57

Merry Christmas all :095: :icon_eyes: Hey I am doing the disc brake swap on my 57 club coupe. I used a 1976 Mercury Marque disc brake set up. Which there is no reaming needed with anything. the only problem there is you have to run 5"x5" on the front. My question is the proportioning has 5 openings I am assuming 2 go to the master cylinder 1 to the back brakes and 2 to the front discs? There was a diagram on the old site but I don't know how to get there! Thanks alot for any help and have Happy New Year and Great job on the new site!!!!!!!!!! Clubcoupe 57

shopratwoody

That's correct as far as the number of lines etc.. just got to put them in the right holes. I put a tee and the stoplight
in the rear line...didn,t like the look and went to mid 50's chevy elect switch on the brake pedal assy. I would
imagine with those brakes if they are like big Ford wheel choce with the big calipers is limited.
Ron :glasses2:
I hate blocksanding!

clubcoupe57

Thanks Ron for the information , didn't know how to wire in the brake switch, that gives me a  couple of ideas thanks, I am running old school smooth cromies with the little dish, so inquired at Les Schwabs Tire and they said no problem getting the wheels  I need. I was wondering if I s
should cut 1/2 a coil I am running Ranchero springs that our about 2" shorter I lowered the back some Hate to get it all back together and sit to high in the front I cut a full coil last time and it looked real cool but rode like ironing board!!! Thanks, Mike

shopratwoody

Mike, you're going to have to play it by ear on your springs.Everyone has different ideas of how a car should ride.
Dropped spindles would be better of course. It's all money. :grim: I think you have to cut a complete coil to have it
seat right in the lower A-frame. With short coils you should be able to cut it in the car and pull it out with channel
locks. I don't like those spindles with the big capilers that cause wheel limitations. Good Luck :deadhorse:
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

57 Ford Kustom

Mike
     I took one coil out of the front and put in 2" blocks in rear on the oringal 65,000 mile springs running 205X14 radial tires, car will just pass the scrub law if there is still such a thing. go around a sharp corner lake pipe cap drag with only my wife and myself in car [but I ain't no small skinny person eather] So I agree with Ron Keep at it untill the look you want is there.

T 8)M :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Frankenstein57

I have a set of late model torino spindles and linclon versai 9 inch rear end with disc brakes, am I going to have the same problem with 2 differnt wheels?

Thanks,
Mark :005:

shopratwoody

mark,
The Torino stuff isn't a problem for wheels. I don't know about the Linc. stuff. The Torino calipers a small
enough and the 10 in rotor most any 5 on 4 1/2 will fit even Mav. 14's fit.
Good Luck, Ron :deadhorse:
I hate blocksanding!

RAWms

I put '74 Mercury Montego spindles on my last '57 to get disc brakes.  I suspect those are the same as Torino spindles.  I would have used the same on my current project but could not find them.  As far as the wheels 5 lug 4 1/2" on center will work.  Run the larger 15" wheels and you will only need one spare.  r :steeringwheel:
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007