News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

frenching the headlights

Started by SteveO, 2006-12-04 17:39

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveO

I'm planning ahead a bit and would like to french my headlights on the next major re-do.  Anyone have any experience with this??

I found this kit a while back...

http://www.zigsstreetrods.com/Pages/lighting.html#4050HeadFrenched

shopratwoody

SteveO,
The most popular headlight treatment even since the 50's involved the use of '56 Ford P.U. headlight rings. It
got rid of the bug eyed effect and countersunk the lights in the fender. There's still some of these on the road.
Ron :hiding:
I hate blocksanding!

57 Ford Kustom

Steve
     My sons and my car both have what was called a debugging kit Hard to come by have not seen one for sale in about 15 years. Somebody  posted a how to do it with PU rims about a year ago it was eather here or y-blocksforever site. also there is one model of MoPar I believe maybe Cordoava [spelling ?????????]. Good luck whitch ever way you do it.

T 8)M
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

SteveO

Quote from: shopratwoody on 2006-12-04 18:57
SteveO,
The most popular headlight treatment even since the 50's involved the use of '56 Ford P.U. headlight rings. It
got rid of the bug eyed effect and countersunk the lights in the fender. There's still some of these on the road.
Ron :hiding:

does this method require any cutting, welding, etc?? or is it a "bolt on" type of mod??

shopratwoody

SteveO, I was going to do mine once. I remember when you remove the headlight bucket you trim the ears off
that they screw to. You need the 56 Ford pick-up rings to start with and maybe the truck buckets. 57 Kustom
knows I'm sure.
Ron  :brick:
I hate blocksanding!

57 Ford Kustom

SteveO
     I have never frenched the headlites using 56 PU rims, [all 3 I did were with debugging kits] I believe that you need to bend your mounting rim in but not sure . If not mistaken Hoosier Hurricane responded to another post a while back about installing these rims,  John is a member of this board , his email address is listed in the member section.
     Sorry can not help :brick: maybe this will help me or maybe this :boobies2: can't swim so this won't help :help1:

T 8)M
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Spare Parts

Here is a 'old school way!! Go to www.jalopyjournal.com ,then click on the H.A.M.B. ,scroll down to Tech Archives and on the last page is info on frenching  '57 Ford headlights.

shopratwoody

Spareparts,
The headlight deal at jolopyjournal is exactly what I was trying to pass on to SteveO. I might even do my car, Thanx
Ron :glasses2:
I hate blocksanding!