News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Stock power steering rebuild

Started by DanTudor57, 2007-01-10 00:25

Previous topic - Next topic

DanTudor57

I am looking at buying a power steering setup for my '57 Sedan. This is an original unit that has been sitting on a car for many years. The ram /hose had some minor leaking when the car was parked. I have a completely rebuilt pump for this setup. My question is, how much effort/money should I expect to put into rebuilding the ram? Are rebuild kits available?

i would appreciate any input from anyone that has rebuilt one of these units.

Thanks

RAWms

Concours Parts catalog shows new and rebuilds.  New is $300 and rebuild is $205 with a $250 core charge.  Whoa.   Looks like '57 had an early and late version so you would need to identify one of the pictures.   I did not see any kits for self rebuild.   r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

JimNolan

DanTudor57,
   You can put some power steering fluid/stop leak in it and it'll help expand the old oil rings on the cylinder piston to keep fluid from pouring out but it'll never cure it. You can fill the steering valve full of grease and it'll take most of the play out of the steering wheel but not all of it, and it doesn't last that long either.
    If you buy the cylinder RAWms is talking about it'll fix both problems and you'll have something that'll last a long time and it'll be a pleasure to not have to constantly correct steering going down the highway. I bought one from Concours when I first started replacing things on my car. Makes driving a whole lot more enjoyable. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.