News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Front Disc Brakes with OEM Wheel

Started by meteor, 2007-01-13 20:59

Previous topic - Next topic

meteor

I'm not sure where this question should go? brakes or wheels/tires...

I've done the granada brake swap from Drop'n'Stop. My plan is to run an OEM style wheel with the small dog dish hubcaps. My original wheels will not fit over the new disc brake hubs, the center hole in the wheel is too small and even caliper clearance is really tight. However, I'd like to go to a 15" wheel but not sure if it will solve the center hole issue.

I guess my question is will a 15" OEM style wheel fit the brake hub and can I still use the original dog dish hubcaps? Has anyone else encountered this? I thought I read somewhere about having to machine the 14" wheel or the hub...not sure if it was on this forum.

thanks
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

RAWms

I'm going to run 15" from my '72 Ranchero.  They have the three knubs to hold the dog dish caps.  I never gave it a second thought about dog caps vs. 14" or 15" wheels.   I have a set of '60 Ford caps that I will try tomorrow.  My last '57 with 15" wheels I but baby moons on with no problem so I guess the little caps fit all.

r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

shopratwoody

My 78 Ranchero came with 14's. I had 15 X 8 in outers put on the at the wheelsmith in Santa Ana.
It has 60 caps on it. The 57 has steels wheels on it during the paint process. The front are 14's off of
a Maverick. They clear the Torino disc calipers etc..You can get 15's without a problem that accept to
small caps at the junkyard. Just be csreful not to get 5 on 5 bolt pattern off of the big ltd's etc.
All Ford wheels from 49 up should have the knobs for small caps  :unitedstates:
Good Luck, Ron  8)
I hate blocksanding!

meteor

thanks guys, I was hoping the caps would fit on the 15" wheel.

What about the brake hub-to-wheel hole issue, has anyone else encountered that? maybe the 15" wheel has a bigger center hole?

Shopratwoody: do you know if the torino brakes are the same as the granada, hub size? and the maverick 14"s fit over the hub okay?

thanks

shopratwoody

Meteor,
I think the brakes are the same. They are the 10" rotors. I just measured to hub sticking thru the wheel as
good as I could with the wheel on the car. It' 2.800  with the dial cal. I have been told later Torinos had
bigger bearings. My 78 ltd II prolay does. those spindles also work and easier to fnd.
Chances are the 15's have the bigger hole also because they usually come on bigger cars (bigger bearings)
and the Mav wheels (14) do clear the calipers etc.
later, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

JPotter57

They'll fit..Before I got my Pro Stars, I had `77 T-Bird 15s on mine with the `57 caps...like a glove...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

meteor

thanks for the info guys, one less thing to worry about.