News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Cooling fan, electric or fixed

Started by RAWms, 2007-01-16 21:25

Previous topic - Next topic

RAWms

:deadhorse:  I'm at the point to light the fire in the motor with a few items to be resolved.  One is the cooling fan.  I have had both types and on my current parts chaser is a manual flex fan as primary and an electric backup when stuck in So. Calif. freeway traffic.  The '57 Ranchero won't see work traffic; that is long idle periods on the freeway.  I think I lean towards the manual type flex fan.  Constant air flow and horse power and mileage loss is not this cars issue.  It is a mild 351W so no real heat issues (I think).

What is the gangs feelings about cooling fans?   :felix:

Thanks in advance, r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

JimNolan

RAWms,
    My 390 would heat up even with a six blade ( big heavy metel ) fan. I'm now using the stock 57 four blade fan that actually had more blade per blade capacity. The key to it all is making sure the fan blade is no more than 3/4 inch away from the radiator. The electric pusher fan I used for a while worked really great until the blade came loose from the motor shaft and actually ate through the radiator ( made a perect circle through the cores ). That was a Zirgo 3300 cfm POS.
  As far as the stock fan goes, it will idle forever at 180 degrees now.
Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

57 Ford Kustom

Roger :006:
      Like Jim says about 3/4" space stock fan will normally work. I have run a 54 Merc hauled a tent trailer to Springfield Ohio, run a 55 Crown with 390 down to north Jersey and run both in parades with no problems. That was in my younger years. :003: now a days I would run a elec pusher as back up .  The other thing that you didn't mention are you going to run a schrod? pardon my spelling.

T:walk:M  :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

Ford Blue blood

Roger,
My 62 Bird ran a clutch fan (6 blade) with the stock shroud and never moved the temp gauge even with the air on during many hot Alabama summer cruise nights.  My 36 with an electric fan and shroud will run all day with the air on.  My 66 Falcon ranchero has a flex fan and never moves the temp gauge, no shroud, but it is an EFI motor and they just richen the mixture when the temperature goes up to help cool it back down.  I am personnaly in favor of the 6 blade clutch with a shroud.  Pushers just don't cut it and flex fans are too noisey in my opinion.  I believe the secret is the shroud be it with an electric puller or a mechanical fan.
Any luck with the brake lines from the master cylinder to proportioning valve?  How about the item I PM'ed you about, did they ever get back with you?
Bill
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RAWms

Thx guys for the responses.  I am a bit surprised the 351W  has filled the engine bay and only left about 3" from the water pump snout to the radiator (which is a re-cored stocker).  I do not know if the water pump I used (passenger side intake) ate up the space over 289/302 type or not.    When I stripped the bronco engine front end for pulleys, etc., I took the shroud.  Unfortunately won't fit.  The clutch fan will not fit either.  I do have a couple of stock Ford four blade fans that I need to get a spacer.  Like I said in my original post I was leaning towards the mechanical fan because of the constant air flow.  I do have a electric puller (No shroud) in a '40 coupe that worked ok even during hot 4th of July parades but I did manually switch it on to stay ahead of the heat.  In other words, I was uncomfortable if the electric had to bring the temperature down.

Another issue on my mind was the mounting of an electric.  I wanted to avoid suspending the electric fan with the plastic mounting style using the radiator fins.  On the '40 it uses a very nice aluminum mount that I think I got from Scotts.

Sounds like the issue is mox nix as long as the major components are is good order.  I know I will be pulling the radiator one more time after breaking in the cam (I hope AC is worth it).  For now to break in the cam I will get a spacer and go mechanical. 

Ford Blue Blood,
Regarding the brakes, MPB sent me the p-valve adapter that for some reason was not originally sent and finished up the all the plumbing.  So the brakes other than bleeding is behind me.  The issue you PM'd me about I never connected with the vendor but I will try again right now as a matter of fact.  I did look at the bearing bracket and it will have to modified and there is room.  We will see what they say.  Thx for the reminder.

...as of Apr 2007

shopratwoody

Roger,
Just run a reg fan. I din't have room for a clutch fan either. The car didn't come with a schroud either, although
I good addition of course. Especially with the A/C. I too don't like flex fans for the noise and I have seem them
explode (toss blades). I had a harder time finding the correct length spacer than I expected. I finally bought
a long one and machined it to correct size. The 429 just did'nt let me use a store bought length. Electric fans
are noisy and draw several amps. May if you need one for some unknown, wire it in to come on with the A/C
like some of the later model cars.
Good Luck with the Break in  :006:
Later, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

Ford Blue blood

I am using two relays wired in parallel, one turns on with a temp switch, the other with a switch on the A/C line, that is a trinary switch, has HI/LO/Head preasure.  The fan will only run while moving slow so as you go down the road with the A/C on the fan does not run at all.  Kinda scarry, the A/C is running and making cold air but the fan isn't, then all the sudden the fan comes on!  Has worked well for over twelve years now. 
A couple of vendors out there have nice electric fan/shroud combos that are really nice and look factory.  Sure do wish they had existed when I built that car!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RAWms

That spacer was harder to find than I would have expected.  I found a 1" one at Pep Boys; Hayden part number 3982.  Would like another quarter inch though (No comments :002:).  Added water last night and it is still there; Alway a good sign.  One more tranny cooler line and guage hook ups and we may light the fire. :snoopy2:

r

After posting, I was reading the current Speedway catalog.  They have two types of spacers and great sizes.  Always fun to read Speedway.

...as of Apr 2007

shopratwoody

FIRE THAT THING UP!! :rock_band:
Later,Ron  :004:
I hate blocksanding!

Frankenstein57

I used to race 57s with 427s in the mid 70s,when we used six blade fans it ran hot. When we ran four or five it was ok.We thought at high rpm the six blade acted like a wall,a bit different application but thought it might help,Mark   

57 Ford Kustom

Roger :006:
       The car won't get done if you worry over 1/4" [ of fan spacing] bawl so lets get the thing fired and on to other things. :3some: :boobies:

T:walk:M   :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

shopratwoody

:deadhorse:

AMEN  :clock: :book1:

VROOM.....VROOM................cam sounds good !!

Later, Ron  :005:
I hate blocksanding!