News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Headers for my 57

Started by JimNolan, 2007-01-18 17:52

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   I'm looking for some headers to go on my 57. It's got the 390 with 8 bolt heads. At first I didn't think I'd go that route but now I've decided I definitely want to put headers on. Who makes headers that will fit my car and still have clearance for the stock steering box.
   I looked at the ones from Ford Powertrain Applications. Anyone recomend these people.
Thanks,
Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

shopratwoody

Jim,
I am happy with the quality of FPA headers. Crite also has some, but if your car sits low proly a problem
according to what they told me. My FPA headers are the short type (no collector). I always had custom
built headers when it had FE mtrs in it. I have a 429 now, had to do some trimming here and there, but
his quality is nice. I'd buy FPA again.  :unitedstates:
Later, Ron  :004:
I hate blocksanding!

custom300fe

Jim

To save me posting all the pictures right now I'll put this link of the problems I've had putting the FPA headers in my 57 with 390.
When I get more time I'll post them here.
Gerry

http://www.network54.com/Forum/436002/thread/1162095171/

Custom 300 2dr
390 + 30
Edelbrock Heads
Ported Street Dominator, 750 DP
Crites 2" Long tube Headers
C-6
3:55 Trac-Loc

JimNolan

Ron and Gerry,
   You're response was appreciated. And Gerry, You must be very good with kids, you have more patience than I do. I'm going to look at as many headers as I can before I spend 700 dollars and have a stroke installing them.
Thanks Guys,
Jim

FORDNUT

Thank you. You have just convinced me that I will run stock manifolds before I would spend $700 and have to go through that. I still get nightmares from the same type experience trying to get a header to fit my 392 stroker that is in my Custom.
At my age I am not required to act mature.

JPotter57

A friend of mine has a set of Hedman Huslers on his `57.  They look good, seem to fit ok.   Not sure about installation woes.  This is still a good part number aparently...Hedman 85245,
HED-85245-6  Hedman Husler Hedders

This from summitracing as of now...

Headers, Husler, Full-Length, Steel, Ceramic Coated, Ford/ Mercury 1958-59, 352, Pair
2/10/07 $730.69 
     HED-85245  Hedman Husler Hedders
Headers, Husler, Full-Length, Steel, Natural, Ford/ Mercury 1958-59, 352, Pair
2/10/07 $528.99 
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

JPotter57,
   Thanks for the info. I'll look them up. If your friend comes around soon, ask him about his installation woes.
Thanks,
Jim

JPotter57

I dropped an email to Joe, and this is what he wrote back...

" Hi James, no mine fit tight but go right in .. The only tight spot is near the steering box . But they go right in ,just loosen the motor mount & jack up motor on the side your putting it in & done !!!drivers side is harder than passenger side .. i got so much practice that i can do it by myself .. Think i got them from jegs but had to call the company for the part #..then order them from jegs . "

1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

JPotter57,
    Thanks for the information. I'll call their company and talk to a tech. Their website says that you can't use power steering with them. I'll see what they have to say.
Thanks again,
Jim