News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 t bird 312 valve lash

Started by Mike Sanchez, 2007-01-21 17:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sanchez

Is there a better way to just the valves on the 312?

shopratwoody

On any solid lifter engine i have always used a remote starter button. Pull the coil wire so it won't start and
bump it where you need it to be. Haven't had a Y block for a long time. I remember them to set at .019,
but I always ran mine tighter (.017)
better stick to the book, I don't want to be the cause of a problem. We always tightened up for better
performance.
Good Luck, Ron  :004:
I hate blocksanding!

Glen Henderson

There are several methods for Y valve adjustment, the most accurate method is to use a P&G valve gapper if you have one. There is a good discussion  of several differant methods in an old post on the Y Blocks forever site. Not saying this is the best method, but it works for me. I adjust them to .019 cold by using the starter button bump method discribed above, then after running and getting to operating temp, I remove one valve cover at the time , and run them again with the engine at idle. This can make a mess with oil shooting everwhere if you have good oiling, but a trick that works for me is to cut a piece of cardboard and rest it on the exhaust manifold with a couple of shop towels on it, catches most of the spray. Remember that .019 is the factory spec for a stock cam, aftermarket cams may have a different spec.