News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Ranchero based on Fairlane?

Started by jvo, 2014-09-29 09:50

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

That 10 1/2 is pretty close to what mine are....and they're plenty. I'm really happy with the whole system.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Lucky'57

Well, that 14" for me. Stock 292 on a 500. Areostar springs with a 1" rubber. Haven't had the wheel alignment yet so I may lose another 1/2".
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

RICH MUISE

Lucky..we were talking rotor dia's. I think your talking ride height spindle to fender lip.

Lucky'57

See, there's my problem  O0 I shouold be doing the thinking .
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

Lucky'57

Mr. Potter. I would like to nominate that Rish H. fella as a hand. :)

jvo

FORGIVE ME FATHER FOR I HAVE SINNED. I have a confession to make.  I was troubled by the 79 Tbird spindles that I installed, with both castor and camber problems.  I installed the Cavalier rack, and was okay with the idea that I would lose some turning radius, but the other problems were not okay.  I couldn't find any Granada spindles so I took a look in the corner of my toy box, and lo and behold was a complete IFS from a 1985 Jaguar XJ6, that I got from a friend that I was planning for a different project.

Couldn't help it.  So, I took the frame stub that I kept from the rusty Ranchero, and put it on my work table.  Did some exploratory surgery on it to see how it would work, and decided that was the way to go.  I made some cardboard templates of the pieces I would need to make to fill in the voids once I cut out the coil spring towers from the 57 frame. I decided to cut just the outside of the frame rails, so as to keep the integrity and structure in place.  I also welded up a small jig that sat on the floor that was tacked to the underside of the frame rails to keep it all in place.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

jvo

Having trouble loading more pics, so I resized them a bit smaller.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

jvo

I didn't take a lot of pics during the process of installing the Jag crossmember.  Lots of welding and grinding and measuring.

jvo

This swap should solve all my castor and camber problems, as well as not having any reduced turning radius in the steering system.  I put airbags in as well, as it is really easy to do on these Jag suspensions.  That should solve any ride height problems that I might have had.  I kept reading on countless threads here about problems with ride height, so that helped me make the decision to do this swap as well.  It seemed like the logical thing to do, although I have probably tee'd off a few purists.

AND NOW, I HAVE TO ATONE FOR MY SINS.  And you all thought it was because I put a Jag front suspension into my Ford.  Oh no, its far worse than that.  I know I am going to lose any Ford fans I have had in the past, and probably in the future as well, to the end of time.  But I have had too many lunches with my friends who talked me into putting this 5.3 LS engine into my Ford.

I did look at the Ford engines, and I definitely wanted a modern injected engine that would get good mileage run trouble free.  I couldn't get past the computer anti theft wiring thing, and the size of the engine as well.  I knew it would fit, but it was still big.  I would absolutely love to put a Coyote engine into it, but I don't have that kind of money to spend.  And when I read about some of the mod motors spitting spark plugs out, that pretty much did it for me.  Sorry guys, you can beat me with a stick when you see me on the road.

The LS engine I picked up for 325 bucks, complete.  Wiring, computer and all accessories, complete.  My buddy Lloyd also had a set of 2010 Camaro headers at his shop and they will work very well with minor slice to the underside of each tube at the port flange, so as to lean the headers in towards the engine block a bit to clear the steering.  That is the only thing that caused even a minor fitment problem.

jvo

There is lots of room for all the accessories.  I am using a hydro vac brake booster.  Never used one before, but a friend of mine gave one to me for free, and I picked up the brand new master cylinder at the last swap meet for half price of new as well.
The steering should be an easy fit as well.  Nice angle up to where the end of the steering column will end.  I have a new ididit column that exits just outside of the firewall that I will be using. 
Anyway, nice easy swap.  Motor mounts are made, just need to be removed and have the welds ground to pretty them up.  I have a brand new T56 Magnum that I bought from Summit as well.  I originally got a T56 from a friend of a friend, who got it from a friend and it was supposed to be from a 2002 Camaro that had 30000 miles on it and was a rollover.  Traded him my top loader with hurst shifter and a little cash for it.  Seemed almost too good to be true.
When I got it, it turned out to be for an LT1 engine, so I would have had to change the mid plate, as well as the input shaft, etc.  Put it up for sale, and it sold right away to a guy that is putting a 383 stroker motor into a Mazda RX7.
So, I loaded up the Visa and bought the new T56 from Summit.  I'm gonna have to atone for that sin as well, when the wife gets the Visa bill.  I normally don't spend that kind of cash on projects, but I had to do something since I was already into the first T56 and there wasn't any turning around at that point.  Oh well.

The part that makes me happy now is that I can pull the mock up block, and the transmission, and fit the doors to the body.  Then I can fit the quarter panels I got from Alvin as well as the back wall of the cab, and carry on with the build.
I didn't want to get sidetracked into changing engines, but every time I started up the old 302 with the blue smoke billowing out the tail pipes, I got depressed, knowing I would have to take care of that problem soon after I got the car on the road anyway, so I bit the bullet and bought the cheapo LS engine and here we are.  I have always said that LS engines are probably the ugliest engine ever made, but I can't pass up the rest of the good points of them, and this is quite an easy swap.  I'll just have to keep the hood closed and locked so no one can see what is in there.

So, I know some of you are gonna be pissed about this, and I'm sure James is gonna puke, as he stated how much he likes LS engines swapped into anything, but its a done deal now.  You can ban me from the site if you want, just let me know, and I will go away quietly. 

gasman826

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!  Suspension is a great idea.  You'll love the air bags.  Hot rodding is about your vision.  Custom cars are sometimes influenced by what is available, affordable, what works, and what is fast.  Ford stuff is usually less plentiful and therefore more expensive.  Late model Ford power plant swaps are not easy or supported as well in the aftermarket.  It's your car...build and don't look back.

RICH MUISE

And alot of us still want to see what this Fairlane based Ranchero concept is gonna look like. Stick around....we'll pretend it has the Coyote, lol.

Ford Blue blood

Never build a car for other folks, build it for you!  The suspension swap is well thought out and looks like it will work well.  Can't say anything about the mill, I have enjoyed the 351C/FMX in my 36 Chevy for many years!  It is what I wanted to do just to be different.  That's why I have a 58 Edsel Pacer 2dr ht, never seen one at a run or show in the 36 years I've been rod running.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Do you know what the wheel base was on the Jag donor car was? You may need to account for Akerman geometry... The swap looks outstanding BTW!
Lynn

jvo

The wheelbase on the donor car was 112.8 inches.  I'm not too concerned with the Ackerman geometry at this point.  In my research I looked at Mustang II options, and they are all front steer from what I have seen.  I don't see how they can get the Ackerman geometry correct on a front steer car, it always seems to be a dilemma from what I have read.  So, I think it will be close enough that I probably won't notice it. 
Most people that I know don't know about that or understand it either and swap suspensions with little regard to Ackerman geometry.  I do like that it is a rear steer unit though. 

Okay, so thanks for all the positive comments guys.  I bolted the passenger door on the car (truck?? I guess its still a car till I cut it up some more) last night and placed the quarter panel that I got from Alvin Stadel on it.  It seems to fit like Ford meant it to be there.  Looks like a two door hardtop with those in place.  Haven't taken any pics yet.

But, I will take a pic of the rear wheel well.  I have 255/70 15 tires on the back for mock up, and the tire intrudes into the front of the wheel well slightly.  I assume that is why I have read that some folks cut the front of the fender opening and reshape it slightly.  Does anyone have any good pics of this before and after?  And how and where to cut it?  Should I post this question in the general discussion so it will be seen better?  Thanks.