News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New Ranchero/Wagon Gas Tank - odd hole?

Started by meteor, 2009-06-16 16:22

Previous topic - Next topic

meteor

So I had to bite the bullet and buy a new tank a while back, I have a question; there is a hole on the lower front edge of the tank, in a recessed area. What is this hole used for? thx
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

wildhog

should just be a drain hole, just fill with a pipe plug.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

briney

Meteor,

Reproduction tanks have 2 places were lines can be hooked up.  The original 57 tanks had one fuel port on the drivers side.  The 58 tanks had a port that came out the lower front, not the side.  So the tanks that were reproduced to cover both years.  The tank you got is very handy if you choose to go to fuel injection with any real kick, you will need both of those lines to adequately feed the system.  If you use fuel injection you can tap the filler neck for a return line.  The fuel injection return was covered on a past post.

Hope that helps.

Patrick / Dallas, TX   :unitedstates:
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

meteor

okay, so here are a couple of pics. I have a small hole on the top side of the tank in addition to the one on the lower front side.

Important question, do these holes have to be plugged? I already have gas in the tank...thx

57chero

The hole that you show in your in your pictures is a drain hole, when rain water or any water seeps through the bed floor and collects on top of the tank it has a place to drain out.

briney

Meteor,

57 Chero is right about that hole in the picture.  I thought you were talking about the fuel connections.  Does your tank have two holes for the fuel ports?

FYI what sender are you going to use?

Patrick / Dallas   :unitedstates:
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

meteor

I think I just have the large hole in the top where the sending unit goes. I just purchased a sending unit from Concours, probably have to modify it a bit for this style tank...