News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Drag racing a Ford O Matic

Started by JimNolan, 2009-10-27 19:51

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
    I need some good advice. I once asked the Hoosier Hurricane advice about drag racing a T85 and he said get rid of it. I didn't take his advice and it cost me $1200.00 before I did take his advice. This time I'm going to be a little bit smarter. Here's the deal. I'm buying a 57 ford with a fordomatic transmission. My main objective is to put my recently overhauled 312 ( bone stock ) in it and fix it up just enough to take it to the Y-Block shootouts and a drag strip down at Bunker Hill to run bracket. I want a transmission that will hold up to no less than 13 sec through a quarter and still be dependable. I'm not saying I'll go 13 sec, I'm just saying if I put big enough tires on it and low enough gears I don't want it coming apart on me. The way I figure it, time is money. The less time you go, the more money it costs.
   1. Can a Ford O Matic hold up to drag racing?
   2. If not, what Automatic would fit a Y-Block without too much adapting or having to change my gear selector?
   3. If a Ford O Matic would work, is there any alterations I should make to it and what stall should the torque converter be?
Thanks guys, Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JPotter57

do like John Gambill did and buy the bellhousing from Mummert for a C4...best all around trans for any kind of drag racing..  Mummert can also help you select the proper torque converter for the 312.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

Jim:

I'll add my little input to the info, based on discussions with a guy who builds racing automatics for a living.  He said that years ago you could get replacement parts for the Ford-o-matics very easily and could rebuild them cheaply.  The various parts for the early Ford automatics are now scarce and parts that may have gone for a couple of bucks now may cost in the low hundreds. 

As James said, the C-4 is a great automatic for strengthening for racing.  Just my two bits.

Bob
57AGIN

Lou

The Ford-O-Matic became the Ford FMX, there are lots of parts around for them cheap. Clutches, bans, seals, pumps, etc interchange from 1951 to into the 1980s.

shopratwoody

Hell, I ran a Fordo behind a 427 many years ago. It never did give up. My Bro used one behind a
Supercharged 312 that ran 13's and it never gave up either.
I hate blocksanding!

JimNolan

Thanks Guys for the feedback,
       According to the YBlocksforever forum the Ford O Matic or later FMX has the least power loss of the bunch. Another website list the Ford O Matic as one of the better transmission to beat up on. Notwithstanding the 100 more pounds it weighs and the parts cost, I think I'll stick to the FOM. I've already got one along with a driveshaft anyway. Hopefully I can get this 57 bought, get it home and get it fixed up for the shootouts next year. Also, Shopratwoody's post was interesting. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.