News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Pinion seal

Started by cokefirst, 2018-07-26 23:59

Previous topic - Next topic

cokefirst

I have a 57 Skyliner,  The pinion seal leaked and I wanted to fix it.  I purchased a no brand name seal from C & G Ford parts and installed it in my rear end.  I went from a small leak to a flood.  It threw out over a quart of grease in 100 miles and left a large puddle on the garage floor.  After reading and researching there was some talk about the speedi sleeves and the Timken brand pinion seal.  I bought a speedi sleeve on ebay but it came a little bent and did not have the installation tool.  I used a 3/4" drive socket of the appropriate size and installed the sleeve on the pinion yoke.  A Youtube video suggested putting a coating of JB Weld on the pinion in the area of the groove before putting on the sleeve.  SKF did not suggest this, so I did not do it.  The yoke had what i thought was a very slight groove, and I did not think it was enough to cause a leak.  WRONG.  After putting on the sleeve and the new Timken seal, it is dry as a bone.  Moral of the story, spend a little more for quality name brand parts and you may not have to do the job twice!
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

hiball3985

I agree 100%. I hunted down some Timkin wheel bearings for my F100 truck and guess where they are made now?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

cokefirst

Just a guess, but I bet the Bearings were made in Mexico?  Where something is made is not as important as the quality of the item.  For the extra $3-4 bucks the Timken seal cost me, the obvious quality difference was worth the extra money.  I guess we have to get used to global economies. 
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

hiball3985

The boxes said China. I guess I'm too old school and this global thing just doesn't set well with me..
Hopefully they are made and held to Timkin standards.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang