News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ride Height

Started by oldgasser, 2016-10-27 20:25

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgasser

I could use some advice on lowering my 1958 Retractable I'm thinking 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches front coils & rear leaf application, would a person cut the coils or order a shorter coil from Eaton Spring in Detroit? & the rear possibly a lowering block would be a possible way I was thinking.
Thank you in advance for your input & time.
Oldgasser.

Ford Blue blood

If the front coils are in good condition cut them with a cut off wheel.  Do not use a torch!  I cut 1 & 1/2 turns off the stock Ranchero coils and dropped it about 2".  Remember, cutting coils stiffens them.  The Aero Star springs are a bolt in but drop it 4+".

On the rear 2" blocks should be the max as more then that will give "windup" issues with the springs and miss align the drive line ever so slightly.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

I used Aerostars but I had to add spring spacers to raise it up, I will probably cut the coils on the stock springs at some point in the future but specifying a shorter new spring is the best way to go (and the most expensive).... I have 2' blocks but I have yet to install them.
Lynn

Lou

If you do a lot of driving I would not lower the car.