News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Almost a Silly Question

Started by lalessi1, 2016-10-28 10:47

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

My cigarette lighter works but I can't charge my iphone or my ipod???? Did something change along the way?
Lynn

Jeff Norwell

Lynn.... you may need to buy a charger specific for an Apple product.... I have bought a charger for my iPhone at any place that sells them(corner store,etc,etc....) and they did not work.
With a proper charger for an Apple product.... it should work.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

lalessi1

I had a Verizon charger with an old style iPod connector and it worked in my other cars. I also have a cigarette lighter to USB connector that I use for my iPhone 6 and it works in my other cars as well. Both have "power-on" leds' but they don't seem to connect to the old lighter. I took the Verizon thing apart and connected it directly to power and hard wired it in the glove box for the iPod, it works. I was wondering if cigarette lighter design changed or if anybody else was seeing the same thing.
Lynn

Jeff Norwell

I just went out and checked.. my phone charged up with a green indictor light on the usb/cig lighter adapter.It worked.

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

djfordmanjack

I've had difficulties with FM transmitters that plug into the cigar lighter socket. they seem to have a problem keeping up the power supply. I think it's due to that modern electronic devices need a steady voltage. Trouble I found is old burned center contacts in the sockets. they may seem to be bare metal, but sometimes the chromed metal is burned to a degree where the resistance is very different from one point to the other. A good solution with those problems is drill/grind out the old center rivet, cleaning all contacts and use a nice little bolt and nut to get everything together again.  all the corroded metal inbetween the layers gets cleaned and resistance eliminated. I also found that resistance increases lots as soon as power current runs over the contact and the contact point warms up. These are old things.... :002:....and repro elements are often much worse than 60 year old units.

lalessi1

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2016-10-28 16:44
I just went out and checked.. my phone charged up with a green indictor light on the usb/cig lighter adapter.It worked.

That answers my question, I will either clean up the one I have or add one that is hidden. Thanks guys.
Lynn

Limey57

Just a word of warning, avoid the chargers you get on EBay or from the gas-station, I had one in the car, keeping my original I-Phone charger with my lap-top.  On a long journey with the phone charging I could smell "hot plastic" and looked at the charger to see it was changing shape!  Damn thing was so hot it was starting to melt, I unplugged it quick & junked it, never again!
Gary

1957 Ranchero