News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Heater delete engine bay block oof plate

Started by lotsafords, 2010-11-01 19:08

Previous topic - Next topic

lotsafords

Not exactly sure what I'm looking for but understand there is a factory block off plate to cover the hole left when the heater blower and core are removed.

If this is correct does anyone have one they would be willing to part with, preferably in California, central valley even better.
Any help will be appreciated.

Jack

RICH MUISE

If you're looking for the cover for above the spot weld rib, I've got one...If you're looking for a cover for the large square hole below the rib my guess is you'll have a hard time finding one. Heaters were an option in '57. Most had heaters installed at the factory. There was a dealer installed optional heater, which reasoning backwards would indicate that those cars that left the factory without a heater must have had a plate to cover the hole, but it would also stand to reason that since most of those probably got the dealer instalation, that the plates removed to facititate the installation were probably discarded. If you are going to install an aftermarket air/heat, you may want to consider using that hole with an aluminum plate to run your new plumbing.    Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

suede57ford

That's correct.   The upper is fairly easy to find, as it was used with the cheapie heater.   The lower panel is very rare, as very few non heater cars left the dealearship, and survival rate is even lower.

You could make a copy of the lower plate if you are good at sheetmetal work.   A bead roller with the correct steeped flange rollers would work.  In your situation, you may not need it to look 100% correct if you modifying it.

I have one for my red/white custom sedan if you need a photo.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

lotsafords

Thanks guys.  I will either weld it up or make a plate to cover.  Idea is to clean up the firewall as much as possible without rebuilding the whole deal.  It might actually be easier to cover the entire firewall below the seam and only make the holes I need.  Will give it somemore thought.

Thanks again

Jack

RICH MUISE

I'd think long and hard about covering the lower area. That would be a ton of welding and a hugh amount of work. If you don't weld it complete, you'll be creating all kinds of places for moisture to get into. I had already finished my floorpans inside and out, outside up to the seam when I thought I should have closed up my unused holes...hindsight is great. I decided to leave it as is since it would be to much lost if I went back and welded them up at this point, and particularly with the hugh 4.6 dohc I'm planning, you wont see that much of the lower firewall. I did clean up my top half of the firewall..a lot of work but well worth the effort imo. There is a pic of it in the general tech discusion area, 3 pages back under "strange windshield problem" if you're also thinking of cleaning up the top half.   Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe