News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

brakes

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2009-08-23 12:42

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

ok,  here we go,    doing the brakes,  changed all the wheel cyl's,  bleed the brakes, last to the 1st in front,   now the problem,   i don';t like the feel of the brakes, feel spongy, have to really press hard on the pedal to stop,  ;checked the master cyl, or at least tried to, heres how i did that,   took off the single line connection and plugged it, pressed the pedal and its as hard as you would want to b in your old age,   p0ut back together and tried the brakes, or rather my son did, he says that something is wrong also,  now is there a way to check the master cyl?,  can u tell if its bad?,   or should i just order one and replace it?,   then since i'm not having any luck with the adjustments maybe i should just take it in and have someone esle do it,  any thoughts?????????????   Jerry  and thanks

wolfpupsdad

are you running disc/ drums or drum /drums ?

shopratwoody

It has to be air Gerry
I hate blocksanding!

wv 57s forever

did you change the hoses they can swell with pressure after a while.

geraldchainsaw

drums in front & rear,   no i didn't change the brake lines (rubber),    i would have said it was air also,   i'll do it all over again,  let ya all know what happens,  thanks for the info

dgasman

Reading your post this is my thought of what you are experiencing .
In the old days we used to arc the shoes to fit the drums and would get a good brake pedal on a new brake job. Today installing new shoes on a 4 wheel drum system will give you a feeling of air in the system , its from the small amount of flex in the shoes from not having full contact on the drums. the shoes need to seat into the drums by driving carefully and applying the brakes and readjusting .This takes awhile and you have to be carefull not to over heat the brakes .
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman