News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Project 302 update

Started by robhaerr, 2012-02-24 22:00

Previous topic - Next topic

robhaerr

Hey 512Fairlane...

Yes, still running stock spindles! Aerostar springs and drop spindles would probably be too low.

These tires are 215 60 15. I was having problems with the rear rubbing when going up a driveway at an angle...but I don't seem to have the problem with the rear sway bar.

I may change the rear to 65 or 70 series...not sure yet as I really don't want to raise the rear at all.

RICH MUISE

And the best part is now you can raise your hood at car shows..LOL
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

robhaerr

Hey Rich...

Tell me about it.

Now I can open it all the way and be proud! Really like the way it came out.

robhaerr

We did some carburetor tuning this morning to feed more fuel to the hungry 302...check out the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OShyU0wwFbM

Now to drive and break 'er in a bit.

Rob

Frankenstein57

Looks good, it also looks like the handling is pretty smooth on the freeway run. I was chasing a dead spot on the power curve, 292,3-speed od, 3.89 gear. We rebuilt the autolite 4100, 1.08 and still had a flat spot. The recommendations for holley carb size was 465cfm. My brother had eight carbs laying around, the newest was a 600 cfm. So for a $35 rebuild kit we took a shot. It to had a wicked flat spot on the bottom, we wound up with a larger squirter, and larger jets, problem solved :003:   you know its only 600 when you stand on it,  Mark

robhaerr

Mark...

I will break in the motor with this set-up for a bit. I haven't stomped on it (much), yet...so I don't know about wide-open throttle.

I still have several more options to try with the Edelbrock 1405 calibration kit. The carb is the electric choke Edelbrock 1406, but the calibration kit for the manual choke Edelbrock 1405 more jets, metering rods, springs than the kit for the 1406.

This first change made a huge difference in driveability for cruising. Next will be how it performs while stompin' on it after a few tank fulls.

Looking forward to several freeway on-ramp stomps! (thinking about how to film the next episode of P302 already)

Rob

robhaerr

Project 302 continues with more tweeks, adjustments, and adult beverage revisit for Thanksgiving weekend...and some rompin' on the go pedal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eutNwd4ydBc

Cheers!

Rob

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

AAHHHH such a feeling of accomplishment!!!!!!  And it sounds good to.

RICH MUISE

sounds awesome.and got some giddyup! Any idea what gas mileage is yet? and how about that steering setup...happy with it, or haven't you noticed from being absorbed with getting the engine tuned right...LOL. Hope there's more chapters to follow...I'm gonna miss them.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

robhaerr

Thanks guys.

Lots of little things to still get right...maybe even in the carburetor tuning. I will drive this set-up for awhile.

No idea about gas mileage. I need to...
-get the speedometer/odometer cable so they are working
-get the gas gauge working
-would like to get a tach (might even do a new gauge cluster at some point)

also...
-new front shocks are on the way
-need to dial-in the trans shift points for the power range (not shifting until I lift off a tad at WOT and I think it's revving too high--need a tach)
-the driver side exhaust manifold hits the engine mount when torquing to that side, especially in reverse. Need to get it back down to Walden Speed Shop to see what adjustment can be made. When the manifold hits/rests on the mount, it sounds like the trans has rocks in it...pretty annoying.
-need new tires, but last on the list.

As far as the steering...there is an element that is not as smooth as I would like due to the angle of the double u-joint...but it is so much better than it was before.

Engine is running good...AND THE FRONT AND REAR SWAY BARS ARE KILLER. The 'wagon corners as flat as you could expect. The Aerostar springs on the front work great with the stock spindles.

However...it's a driver, looks good, it sounds good and has some grunt, handles well, and it is getting attention around town. Many people have no idea what kind of car it is. But it's not perfect.

Ford Blue blood

Rob moving that support bearing as close to the double as Gary has his (gasman826) will fix the issues you have now.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

robhaerr

I felt the need for a tach, so I bought a cheap Sunpro at Auto Zone for about $40 and mounted it below the dash. Matches the other cheap gauges along there, too. Perfect spot for an easy and clean out-of-the-way look. I had to modify the mounting plate slightly and used a screw that is already holding the driver's side air vent shroud.

One more item off my list above...dang rain yesterday prevented the install of new fronts shocks, speedo cable, and first oil change (not to mention a new Project 302 video episode).

I also ordered a kit by Borgeson to drop the pressure in the GM-style power steering pump I used. The pump gives about 1350 psi and the steering is very fast, twitchy...especially at freeway speed. I believe that the ST Fabrications r&p unit likes about 950 psi...correct? Here is the kit I bought from Summit...another cheap adjustment...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-899001

Tach is visible thru the steering wheel...love it...I did not want it on the column or on top of the dash on the speaker grill. I may do a new gauge cluster later, but for now...

57 Ford Kustom

Rob,
   Don't complain about the rain, I'm jealous! In two days we have received 3' of snow here in Vermont!!! I think a snow blower is now permanently attached to me :005:!
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

robhaerr

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom on 2012-12-30 14:06
Rob,
   Don't complain about the rain, I'm jealous! In two days we have received 3' of snow here in Vermont!!! I think a snow blower is now permanently attached to me :005:!
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:

Tim...

Ha...I figured I would a reply like that! We pay extra for the weather out here...hot rod season is all year!

Happy New Year...
Rob