News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

I.D. plates

Started by RICH MUISE, 2010-07-30 07:20

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I had removed my I.D. plate from the door post when I disassembled my 57. I have seen sources where you can get them reproduced, which is my plan, but I was curious..I had read in a magazine article where it actually was unlawful to tamper with the original I.D. plate and that it could cause registration problems down the road. Is there a proper protocol I should have gone thru before I removed my plate, such as contacting the dmv? Anybody had any problems with this?
Also I noticed looking at ford crazy's website, in the pic with him sitting in the car, the id plate on his car is smaller than mine and in a different location (his is higher on the door jamb)? I was surprised to see the difference.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Lou

The only thing you can't not do is change the serial niumber, otherwise the only state that has any kind of a law reguarding data plates is CA.

suede57ford

I have seen two different style Tags on '57's.   Some of the reproduction tags are really good, and really freshens the car up well.  The VIN is on a couple places on the frame as well, so you could not change VIN number properly even if you had another tag or body.
As long as you put your tag or a proper reproduction on with the correct rivets on a legitament car there should be no issues, especially with the original frame.

I would make sure you have a good title, especially now in Texas as it is getting very hard to get an older car titled after all the title rule changes last September. To get a title now in TX may require an inspection of the vehicle and VIN's at the Department of Pubic Safety, by appointment.

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

JimNolan

Rich,
  A. G. Backeast at Datatags.com will make you a new one and furnish the correct rivets with the vin plate for about $75.00. You can change the exterior color, interior color and possibly the axle or transmission code, you'll have to ask him. I know for sure you can't change the Serial number. You're stuck with the model year, assembly plant, engine and production number.
  Oh yes, you have to prove to him that the car is yours and the serial number is correct. I had to send him a photo of the old vin plate and a copy of the title before he would make me a new one. I changed the interior and exterior color along with getting a reproduction vin plate that looks identical to the old one except no paint lines and its new. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.