Which back door to keep? And how much to ask for the other one?

Started by Custom300Madman, 2012-01-27 19:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Custom300Madman

I have a drivers side rear passenger door (4-door car). The existing door has a giant dent that can probably meet the pop up requirements easily. Now I have a black door perfect condition with perfect gold/chrome siding, glass and door panel. It's fully loaded. Which one do I keep the one with the dent that's faded sea foam puke green or the black one that doesn't match?

How much for the other one?
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

Zapato

since the use of either one will require repaint and you are not fond of the sea foam puke green which leads me to assume you'll be changing color go for the perfect door and save yourself a lot of work.

a dented rear door value, my guess you could get $25 for it at a swap meet in my area. but have seen perfect ones for that at pdx swapmeet.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Custom300Madman

Zapato

Madman, Been rethinking my answer. I am a believer of using the best parts available. However that been said you should consider the following. From your original posting I'm assuming some things so feel free to correct me. 1) You're new to the hobby and 2) You've either never done any body work and/or are not confident in your skills. If that's the case here's where I'm going to deviate from my first answer.  DON'T sell that door. This your perfect chance to practice and learn some new skills. Get yourself a pair of sawhorses and a couple of lengths of wood (2x4s) to rest that door on and start working it. Take it all the way from dent pulling to paint. It will allow you to see and learn the processes you'll need for the rest of the car. You won't loose anything other than time and a bit of materials. However the skills will carry on with you forever. If you mess it up at any stage just do it over just like we've all done on our cars. No matter what you do it will still have some value. If you really mess it up you can still strip it down and end up easily with at least $25 worth of parts. If nothing else you will gain a higher level of respect for the guys that do it every day and why a paintjob costs so much.

Anytime you get stuck you can come back and ask for help here. Between this board and YouTube there is no question that can't be answered.

Zapato

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Custom300Madman

Thats awesome Zap! Yeah I was thinking about trying to hammer it out and playing around with it. After I put it on the saw horses and pull the door panel wihat would I use to hammer the dent out? It's a giant dent. Let me see if I can upload some pictures on here.

Custom300Madman

Dent on the door I was talking about.

Zapato

Madman, looks like you have 2 dents can't see whats behind the trim top area doesn't appear to have a crease but the lower area is that brown colored stripe dirt or crease. From the picture it also looks like the rear and lower edges are pulled out. Can you take a couple more pictures that show the damage looking at the car from the side but behind the car ?

Zapato