Ford Custom side gold trim, is it just me or is it absolutely hideous?

Started by Custom300Madman, 2012-01-30 18:20

Previous topic - Next topic

62galxe

Quote from: Custom300Madman on 2012-01-31 11:29
@62, what wouldmbe the best way to fill those square holes in?
mig weld them. on big holes i use a copper plate for backing. the weld wont stick to it. Another option is nails to help fill the hole. Stick the head in the hole weld around it and grind the rest off.

Custom300Madman

Quote from: 62galxe on 2012-01-31 19:44
mig weld them. on big holes i use a copper plate for backing. the weld wont stick to it. Another option is nails to help fill the hole. Stick the head in the hole weld around it and grind the rest off.

I don't currently have any welding experience or own a welder/ air compressor with grinding tools. I do however, like the nail idea and think that would fit me the best. I'll look for a low dollar mig welder, I just don't currently have 220 in the garage, maybe I could run an extension cord fromthe laundry room to the garage.
1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

JPotter57

Word of warning on the extension cord...
I used 8-3 cable and the appropriate outlet and plug, for a 12 foot extension for my welder..It cost me about $65.  Thats a bunch of money for a 12 ft extension cord....you have to use good quality cable as the welder is a huge amp draw.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

Lincoln sells a very nice 110V MIG that will serve you all day long in a home hobby shop.  You can always go even cheaper and hit Harbor Freight for one of those $125 Cebeor (Italian) jobs that will work OK for light duty stuff like sheet metal up to 10 ga.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Custom300Madman

Oh sweet! So the thickness of floor pans and my fender patch holes (where the trim went) is less than ten gauge? Now I'm really excited! I'm going to buy a sawzall from freight this week. The bolts to the down pipe were a booger so I unbolted the manifolds from the 312 when I pulled it out. To my surprise they came out.

Ford Blue blood

Most sheet metal in autos of this vintage is 18 and 19 ga.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Custom300Madman

JimNolan

Keith,
   Can you run it ? yes. Will you become a professional  if you don't do it everyday ? no. Will you be glad you bought it ? yes. I will give you a piece of advice though. Along with this welder your buying, don't bring it home without investing in a good hand grinder also. That way it'll save you another trip to the store. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ford Blue blood

Practice....practice....practice, did I say you should practice?  The grinder Jim is talking about is a 4" right angle, best tool ever built for fabrication work.  You can put cut off wheels, rocks, flappers of many grits and buffing wheels.  Don't go cheap on this, mine has seen many a floor board and fire wall along with a two year stint in a fab shop and it is still going strong.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Custom300Madman

Thanks Jim.

@Fordblueblood, so on the 4'' grinder, not a harbor freight item then?

62galxe

I use a dewalt grinder. As far as the welder most of the small ones use a fluxcore wire with no gas. Ive found that using solid wire with a 75/25 argon/co2 gas welds better. As usual theres always a better way its just a matter of how much you want to spend. Lots of people use the fluxcore wire with no major issues. It just needs a little more clean up after the weld.

Ford Blue blood

Mine is a Bosch.  It has been in service since 1994.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Zapato

I have a Craftsman been abusing it for over 20 years. Don't waste your money on cheap grinding wheels often sold at swap meets unless you like changing wheels. Buy the good ones usually found at most welding shops. Believe me you'll save money in the long run.

Good buddy of mine has a half dozen or so of the HF grinders, He sets them up with different heads. That way he's not switching from grinding disc to wire cups etc... Runs them till they fail and warranties them. They're pretty tough and are often on sale cheap.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Custom300Madman

I'm headed to harbor freight later this weekend for a sawzall. What do y'all think about the 90 amp flux core. from 22 gauge to 3/16" thick it's a hundred and a half. Think it'll weld te square holes up in the fenders and the floors maybe some exhaust work?

RICH MUISE

I taught myself to weld on a hf welder that could be used both ways...flux core or gas... I spent months playing with it with minimal sucess until I finally bought a tank and switched it over to gas and it made a huge difference. My strongest sugestion is to buy the gas type, and not to use any of hf's wire. you can pick up lincoln wire at home depot or lowe's for just a few dollars more than the hf and it'll also make a huge difference. Unlike 62 Galaxie, I haven't talked to anyone that has success with a flux core welder. Any where you get your power from, you are probably going to need an extension cord, and as James mentioned make sure it's heavy enough. I run power from my house main box to the unattached garage, so I have a 50 foot cord, but I made mine from 6 gage..cost almost as much as the welder if I remember..LOL
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe