News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Snow

Started by JimNolan, 2012-02-04 09:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Saturday late afternoon we had 5 inches fall and over here we are NEVER prepared for it!  We were 15 miles away and even the freeways were covered, made worse by it being compacted by the trucks.  My daily driver is a 2010 Mercedes C class staion wagon, 2150cc turbo diesel (205bhp) with a six speed manual transmission, being RWD and having an inteligent traction control that you can't switch off means it just won't "go" when it gets wheel spin.  After about ten miles on a gradual uphill stretch of the freeway we ground to a halt with all the other RWD cars, so I fitted a pair of "snow socks" that I bought last year.  They are brilliant, much easier to fit than chains, developed in Norway and are made from a kind of plastic-hessian type material.  Got to admit I was sceptical about their performance but once I tried them I'm now a believer!

Gary

1957 Ranchero

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:

I live, what, 50 miles south of you.  We didn't get any snow at all here.

John

Ford Blue blood

I got a lessson on preperations and handling snow in Birmingham early on in my life here.  In the 95/96 winter we had a snow fall that started wet then froze.  As the Facilities Manager I felt obligated to go into town to check the building and asses the road conditions to best be able to advise the CEO with respect to opening/late opening or staying closed.  Having learned  to drive in WI in the snow and ice this was no problem for me to deal with.  As I approached a large bridge that went over serveral siding tracks there were two fellows in the bed of a gateless dump truck spreading the sand/salt mixture on the road by hand.  I knew things were going to be different in Birmingham, AL in the winter!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JimNolan

John,
  We got about 2" of a really wet snow. Thankfully, I had my 57 Fairlane snowplow. Jim LOL  PS  We get considerable less snow than they do 15 miles north of me. They call it Lake Effect snow.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Frankenstein57

The snow socks are cool, why didn't I think of that.   Mark :005: