News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Huricane Sandy

Started by Frankenstein57, 2012-10-30 22:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

Here's hoping all our friends on the east coast are ok, we are praying for you. Looks like one hell of a mess.   Mark

Ford Blue blood

My thoughts as well......interesting thing, several years ago Discovery Channel did one of their "what if" shows that featured NYC and the nearly exact same weather situation with very simular results.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57 Ford Kustom

Thanks Guy's,
   I am in Vermont, so we only received the high winds and rain. The people south of me were slammed! I was in long Island just last week, and I can't even imagine what it looks like now! We were prepared this time, not like when Irene slammed through our state last year. I now know the apocalyptic feeling that many are experiencing at this moment. Our thoughts and prayers are with you!
Thanks,
Tim  :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

wv 57s forever

where i live in wv we got mostly rain but 50 miles from me the got from 3 to 6 feet of snow.

JPotter57

I was wondering about you Allan, I knew you guys were supposed to get buried in snow.  I'm glad it missed you.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

clusterbuster

Most of us here in Northeast Pa are okay, but massive power outages still going on. A young boy of eight years old, not too far from here, was killed when a tree limb fell on him. He was out checking on cattle I believe. My prayers are with all those who are going through these terrible times.

wv 57s forever

thanks james,

Lou

Well we got are power back last night, just in time as it was starting to get cold here. We were running 4 houses  ( make that 4 refrigaraTORS

Lou

Damn , sorry about that. computer flickered, anyway this town got hit hard along the shore, I'm about a 1/4 mile away from the beach, but about 20 feet above high tide mark so all is well here. Haft of Milford was without power for 4 days, we still have about 10% of the town out. The street I live on only has 8 houses and everyone worked together and with the help of 3 rather small generators we managed to keep everyones food cold.
Along are shore we have about a 100 homes badly damaged about 15 of the beyond repair, away from the shore there was some damaged done by falling trees but the wind was less than expected so in most cases damage was minor. (If you consider a limb threw you roof or windows minor)
The wind kept pushing water in Long Island Sound and not letting it out, we had record tides of 8 to 12 feet above normal high tide, places flooded that had never flooded before but this town has really tough building codes and except for those houses right on the shore damage was kept to a minimum.
No one was killed here in town, thanks to the Fire Dept going house to house making people get out of places that were expected to flood. It unbelievable that the fire dept had to just about force almost 300 people to leave.

gasman826

What do you need?

It is hard to get people to leave their homes until they are convinced by someone they trust.  Can't trust government, media, or the weather people.  Only the local emergency people could convince them.  It must have been tough to leave knowing what the storm didn't take, the looters would.

JPotter57

Hey Lou, I'm glad you guys made it through ok.  I didnt realize you lived so close to the coast...  I know a lot of the northeastern guys never expect to see a hurricane come their way, but I have found, with the seas anyway, you never know what it's going to do.  I will be praying for those of you who lost property and suffered damage.  Glad it wasn't worse.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Lou on 2012-11-03 11:36
It unbelievable that the fire dept had to just about force almost 300 people to leave.

I would be hard pressed to leave as well, but, I'm a weather geek and have over the years learned and earned a tremendous amount of respect for ol mother nature.  So, you weigh the odds and make your decision.  A county in Florida (maybe it was MS or LA) found the most effective way to help folks make up their mind.  While on the house to house "mandatory" evacuation screening they carried indelable markers with them.  Anyone asked to evacuate and refusing was required to write their name, SS# and next of kin on their arm (makes iding the body much easier) prior to the department leaving for the next house.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

That brings reality crashing in!!

Somewhere was marking the house as well?

JimNolan

Lou,
Glad you're OK and weathered the storm. From what the TV shows there's a lot of people that didn't. I pray they recover from this hardship quickly. I see on the TV where they had instant aid from the Red Cross and FEMA. At least they learned something after Katrina. I was down in Ms. 4 days after Katrina hit and the government still hadn't got there. My girlfriend was coming back from Pa. the day before Sandy hit and she said there were mile after mile of power trucks, rescue ambulances and Military equipment headed east. That's how it should work. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.