News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Look at all the rust on the bottom side of my 57

Started by 6cyl57, 2013-01-05 19:28

Previous topic - Next topic

6cyl57

what a rusted out heap......yea right. :003:
I'm not used to working on one this solid. Usually I have to cut the floor
out from fire wall to the tail lights.

I believe this to be the original paint. My car was 2 tone. Just thought
I share some new pictures.

can you tell I really hate working on this car :002:.

RICH MUISE

LOL...Yeah, I saw that spot.
That's about the cleanest survivor floor I've seen yet.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 Ford Kustom

6cyl,
   I can't believe how nice that is! I can't complain, mine had a under coating applied under the whole thing (Plus it's as. Carolina car). When I pulled the old carpet up, there was some surface rust on the drivers floor, but factory paint on the rest of it! A little sanding, a little POR 15 and as good as new!
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

JPotter57

1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

512Fairlane

I thought mine was solid.  That is really nice.

lowrider

Nice! It must be the color. Although mine isnt as nice as yours its the same color.

Tom S

Oh, you poor baby!  Look at all that rust under there.   :BangHead:
Quote from: JPotter57 on 2013-01-06 18:28I hate you guys.....
Yeah, me too.  Downright  disgusting, ain't it.

Frankenstein57

These cars always rust differently, I've had areas that were gone, then you see another midwest car with no rust in the same spot.

57dohc

What makes this car so unusual is that the floors are almost always gone on our cars that came with rubber covered floorboards.  Once the cowl drain tubes rotted out or windows were broken the rotted floors were almost guaranteed.  Moisture got trapped between the steel and rubber and the rust quickly followed.  The cars that came with carpet did much better. These cars are also 56 years old and like their owners probably all have a little rust around the edges! 

57AGIN

6cyl57:

Count your lucky stars.  My all Southern California Custom 300 had it's share of rust, to the point the front seat had nothing to attach to, the tunnel and kick panels weren't much better.  All that has been replaced now, but it started out like a "Fred Flintstone Flyer."

Fortunately, now days I believe not only the front & rear floors have been re popped, but also the tunnel and kick panels.
Enjoy the fact that you don't have to put up with the kind of mess that a lot of us had to deal with.

Bob
57 AGIN

6cyl57

Yessssss I am so fortunate that this car is as solid as it is. If it would have needed a frame
and floors like most of them do I would have passed on it. I didn't need another major project.

While I was cleaning the underside I thought about taking it off the frame to do a better job.
But then you all know what would happen next.... the mayaswell syndrome would start.

I just like driving this car around as much as possible (and its been a lot) .

don't get me wrong , the car is no cherry . It needs some rocker panel work, the drivers door
is full of mud. It has terrible mechanic dents on tops of the fenders. I will take that any day over
rust.

I really like this web site. No drama and other unnecessary stuff.

gasman826

Did you ever pull the carpet and whole floor comes with it!  At least you don't have to breath all that rust dust.

Wirenut

I could have shaved a year off of my rebuild if mine were as clean as that.. Must be nice!!!!! All joking aside, nice to see one in such good shape..