News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

rear drum brales

Started by 57 imposter, 2013-01-29 20:12

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

I have a brand new set of rear brakes, backing plates to drums, for the early big bearing housing that uses 1/2 inch mounting bolts. unfortunately, my housing is an early model small bearing that uses 1 1/2" shoes and 3/8 mounting bolts.  what I would like to do is find some later backing plates that would fit my housing and allow me to transfer  the new 2 1/2" shoes and drums. Anybody got any ideas?

RICH MUISE

There are some guys on here that'll know more than I do, but I'm not sure it was a matter of early vs. late as much as it is passenger cars vs. wagons,(Rancheros, police cars,etc?). That is if by early/late you are talking within the '57 model year.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 imposter

The wagons, pickup, and rancheros  used the big bearing housings while the cars used the small bearing housings. and that is the crux of my problem. I bought the new brake set up for my 61 uni-body project but decided, mid stream, to go with discs on truck. I spaced out, until today the difference between the two housings.  I believe someone told me that everything up to 1963 would fit but cant remember for sure. Ford was using wider shoes and self adjusters by then. so my hope is to be able to transfer all those good new brake parts onto later backing plates and use them on this car.

RICH MUISE

This may be a good time to think about narrowing your rear end for more clearance with bigger tires, and having them use the big bearing ends.

hiball3985

I'm guessing, but did you used a passenger car housing on your truck? If not, won't the 5x5 truck bolt pattern cause a problem for the drums on the passenger car axles?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 imposter

you are right, I used a 57 ranch wagon rear end in the pickup so I got the big bearing housing with 5 on 4 1/2 axles.  As for my current problem, I scrounged around the shop today and found a pair of  early big bearing housing ends so I will just replace my small bearing ends with the big ones and my drum brake set up will fit. In the long run it is the cheapest and easiest way to go

RICH MUISE

gasman826

Now and again, I have thought about this big bearing, small bearing, late model bearing, early bearing, Torino bearing thing as it relates to brake swaps.  Why can't ya' just relocate the holes in the backer plate.  It's not like they have to be align bored especially with disc swaps.  Once the backer plate is over the housing studs, the axle bearing retainer plate pinches the backer plate.  As far as changing to the late model/Torino bearing, I would rather NOT!  I never liked that bearing since the first one rolled into the dealership.  I never changed a sealed Ford axle bearing on warranty.  I changed hundreds of the tapered, wet bearings on warranty not because the bearing failed but due to oil leakage.  I have always been a 9" fan.  I have several pigs in the loft.  I like to be able to swap gear ratios on a whim.  But, if I have to install new bearings or worry about oil leaks every time I pull an axle, I would rather have the small bearings.  At least if they leak, it is an easily replaced, inexpensive seal.  I am considering packing the tapered bearings with grease and installing axle seals.  They are used on roundy roundy cars!