News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear shocks to short

Started by Hawkeye, 2013-10-04 11:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye

On my 57 Custom 300, the new shocks I bought for the rear are about 2 1/2" to short. I purchased new spring thinking someone may have changed them but the new ones were about the same. Has any body else run into this? I have check the shock # and appears to be the correct one.

hiball3985

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not questioning your mechanical ability but most new shocks are gas and have  a plastic wire hold down that has to be cut to release them to full length, could that be the problem?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

What hiball stated could be the problem.   
What is your total length extended?  I have my custom jacked up at the moment and could get a total length tomorrow if that helps.

RICH MUISE

I'm curous how you are determining they are too short. Comparison to the shocks that were on it, comparing to oem specs? If that determination was made from the fact that the shocks will not let the differential drop it's full 'travel' allowed by the springs, that, as I understand it, is oem design.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Hawkeye

After 40 years of building street rods & drag cars I will ignore the remark about the plastic tie's, and no the shackes are not flipped. They are short when the complete car is setting on all 4 wheels with most everything there except upholstery. I did a frame off build over the last several years so don't have the old ones, not sure there were any on the car when I purchased it. Just thought I would ask to see if anyone ever ran into this before.

jdlafayette

I have the same problem with my Fairlane 500. I bought air shocks on ebay. Everything is new on the car because it was so bad when I started. It has new springs, shackles, bushings u-bolts etc. When I put the shocks in they were topped out. I want up high since it is a real 60's hot rod but my friend and I figured I am going to have to put extensions on the top stud.
I think the shocks they are selling might be cross referenced and not be correct.

Hawkeye

With the car setting on wheels, the distant from top shock mount to lower mount is 16 1/2". Can someone tell me what theirs is? My springs have a fair amount of arch to them but most 57's I have seen, the springs seam to be flat with very little arch. I made shock extensions but would still like to figure out why this is.
Thanks for any help on this

RICH MUISE

I measured mine at 19" bracket to bracket...however, I'm not sure how much of a helpful reference that will be. My car is assembled in the back except for the rear glass, gas tank, and rear bumper. It is sitting on the tires in the back, but up on jackstands in the front. The engine and tranny are in, but everything else is off the car forward of the firewall. Also, I do not have the shocks on in the back. The springs are original. I was somewhat surprised to find mine 2 1/2' longer than yours, particularly with the old springs, but you didn't say if that 16 1/2 " was with or without shocks mounted. If all goes well, today I'll take it off the front jackstands and remeasure.
I looked but couldn't find some info that Jim Nolan had posted about finding some rear shocks with longer travel. I'll keep looking.

JPotter57

Those longer shocks were for a 56 Ford..they are a couple inches longer than 57 shocks..
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

Thanks James..I'm going to save it this time.

Hawkeye

Rich, My measurement was with the shocks attached. The new springs I have are suppose to have a 1" drop from stock but were almost a dead match for the old ones, checked off the car. They will settle some with time but don't expect much, maybe an 1" at the most. Does your springs have any arch or are they almost flat?
I think the way to go is with the 55/56 shock.

RICH MUISE

Seem to have plenty of arch...I'll get a pic later on today...."plenty of arch" is all relative I guess.

OK...they look more flattened in the pic than they do looking at them. The measurement came down to 17" taking the car off the jacks in the front. That's probably not too far off from yours once the front end is lowered more with sheetmetal, etc., and adding the weight of a gas tank, rear glass and a bumper to the rear.