News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear fender wells

Started by jumping jack flash, 2014-02-03 09:47

Previous topic - Next topic

jumping jack flash

I really like the looks of the rear fender wells of a 1955 Nomad. I've looked pretty hard for a set that can be welded in place that are that shape and have a rounded edge to them. No luck. I know somewhere there is a set for a muscle car or something that I can weld into my Ranchero. If anyone has any ideas , please let me hear it. I know my sculpture limits, and reforming the 57 Ranchero metal to what I want is beyond my talents. At least I feel it is  . Mig welders have made us all into pretty good grafters, much like pvc pipe has made us all into good plumbers.Gobs of body filler is not an option either. Briney has the look I'm after on his,but he told me that he reformed the existing 57 metal. Mine needs cut out on one side anyway,so I want to change it to a wide tire friendly shape, and as mentioned I'm not that good at reforming metal.

Zapato

flash, have you checked with the aftermarket sheetmetal guys. there might be replacement panels made. always easier to deal with new clean metal than old crusty stuff.

standby for heat about grafting brand-x stuff on. lol

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

jumping jack flash

Sorry , I wasn't very clear, but that is exactly what I have done.The closest I have come is from the 69-70 Mach one Mustangs. Even those are not round at the top of tire.I agree about new metal, and the cost of fender wells isn't bad for the results in the end. I just haven't found the right ones yet.

6cyl57

I used repair panels for a jeep cj5 on my non-Ford AWB .
The wheel opening is completely round. It is a flat panel ,you will have bend/ curve it
to fit your body. I maybe able to post some pictures .... but as i said it is not a Ford.

jumping jack flash

Not a Ford? That's OK. I'll just open up a new can of worms. I may even be inciting a riot. Ford is a fine product, and I have certainly owned more than any other brand. There are however other mfg companies out there. If you have never seen the tail lights of brand x , then you haven't been in many races.In 1957 that might have been a supercharged Studebaker. In the early 70's I raced on a circle track with a group of friends, and The SBC was the weapon of choice. Cheaper to build in most cases. I like em all.There are a couple of Hudsons I would like to get.
Thanks for the tip,... I'll look at the jeep wells and see if they are what I'm looking for.

Zapato

really never paid much attention to the Nomad fender it does flatten out at the top of the arc, and are $800 plus each for a re-pop. 79 firebird/camaro are full arc and should be fairly available.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

6cyl57

jumping jack flash

Thank you 6 cyl. The Volvo gets the nod of approval. They look absolutely perfect for what I want.Welding in a panel is so much easier than conduit, and body filler, only to watch a crack appear in the filler, and then it turns into rust. Not a good method. Now , back to the Volvo section of Pic n Pull.

jumping jack flash

Wow . It's a small world. D. Reese who made the last comment on the Hamb link was the guy that I bought my Present Ranchero from. He has another one in his shop that belongs to his son, and he wanted to have a Father /Son duet of 57 Rancheros.He builds hot rods full time Professionally, and just didn't have time for his own project....It's  mine now.