News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

rEAR DISK BRAKES

Started by clusterbuster, 2014-12-15 16:21

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

New cable, disassembled the system, still no emergency brake function for me as I have posted in other threads. I am actively on a mission to figure it out. I didn't start out with much, not even many correct parts. I replaced some parts so far to at least have the original design. Still looking for a couple of things but I feel your pain. Do not know why the thing doesn't work. WHEN I figure this out I will let all know.
Quote from: clusterbuster on 2014-12-16 18:51
Thanks everyone for all the different input into the rear disk brake issue. I think I will think twice about changing over to anything now with all the issues raised. The thing that bugs me the most is not getting the parking brakes to lock up. Also put a new cable from the handle to the equalizer lever. If anyone has had that problem and has some tips, I sure would try them.
Lynn

gasman826

might help if you share a picture of your rear brake without the drum and a picture of the linkage at the cross member.

clusterbuster

Will try to get some pics in the next couple days. Thanks.

clusterbuster

As to Rich's concern about the clearance using an 11 inch drum with the rear drum brake upgrade, this was their reply---- have sold several of these DR1504K drum upgrade kits over the years to owners of older Fords, and I have never experienced any complaints. I am not up to date on the 57's rear tire fitment, but to date, I haven't had any complaints for that issue.

Of course, there is never a perfect answer, since the differences in car builds vary. To say I have never had any other complaints about it not fitting doesn't guarantee that it will fit yours. But I have never had one not fit yet!

I hope this helps.
'

lalessi1

gasman, I revisited the thread on this topic in "Other Brake Related Issues/Emergency Brake components" and I saw the pics you posted of "the straight lever". I would like to try that as I think it will fit on the '59 crossmember in my car now. A pic of what I have now is in that thread as well. I am thinking that the cable travel for a foot brake versus a hand brake could be completely different though. I will pm you.
Lynn