News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear Sway Bar

Started by 57imposter, 2018-07-02 13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

57imposter

I have been looking for a heavy duty rear sway bar. I have checked with what I believe to be all the usual suspects and the heaviest I have found is a 7/8 bar. I am trying to find 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 so I can eliminate the front sway bar I am now running. I have a front bar from Southwest Thunderbirds which is very effective but it mounts very low in the front, is very visible and not very attractive. I may be trying to overkill the issue by going bigger than I need. Hopefully someone has some good experience that they are willing to share.

gasman826

Front - Addco 2151 - 7/8" in the OEM location...I made poly bushing for a little extra control

Rear - Addco 650 - 1" 91-09 Crown Vic ...I made all brackets and links

The Raunch Wagon corners pretty flat!

hiball3985

Concourse and Southwest Tbird have 1" rear bars
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57imposter

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2018-07-02 16:08
Concourse and Southwest Tbird have 1" rear bars

Thanks, I ordered one from Concourse. Hopefully, I will be able to get fid of the front, but we'll see.

suede57ford

I've used the rear sway bar from Concour's and Southwest  and I think they are the same.  I've used the sedan version and the wagon versions and they really reduce body roll. It even keeps wide tires from rubbing when cornering.    The down fall is that you do loose some rear end travel, especially on a lowered car if you mount the bar on top of the rear rear end so it doesn't show.  Don't get your exhaust over the rear end done until the rear bar is installed, as you want a s much clearance as possible.

I feel the same way about the Southwest Front Bar.  Really hags down low and is very noticable.  I've been using the larger factory wagon/ranchero front sway bars on some of my cars.  Combined with the rear sway bar they work well.  I too noticed Addco has the larger diameter front bar available to go in the factory location.  I may try that on my next one.  I like the idea of making new bushings for the larger bar out of urethane.

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Doug, not to change the subject, but did you still want that dash bezel? I replied to your 3 posts but no response unless I missed a pm
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57imposter

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2018-07-02 19:28
Doug, not to change the subject, but did you still want that dash bezel? I replied to your 3 posts but no response unless I missed a pm
Rich........I got one and sent you a message but it probably shot off into the great interweb graveyard. Hopefully it all goes in tomorrow with new Autometer gauges and new indicator lights 

57imposter

Quote from: suede57ford on 2018-07-02 18:43
I've used the rear sway bar from Concour's and Southwest  and I think they are the same.  I've used the sedan version and the wagon versions and they really reduce body roll. It even keeps wide tires from rubbing when cornering.    The down fall is that you do loose some rear end travel, especially on a lowered car if you mount the bar on top of the rear rear end so it doesn't show.  Don't get your exhaust over the rear end done until the rear bar is installed, as you want a s much clearance as possible.

I feel the same way about the Southwest Front Bar.  Really hags down low and is very noticable.  I've been using the larger factory wagon/ranchero front sway bars on some of my cars.  Combined with the rear sway bar they work well.  I too noticed Addco has the larger diameter front bar available to go in the factory location.  I may try that on my next one.  I like the idea of making new bushings for the larger bar out of urethane.
I got my rear sway bar from Concourse this week and will try installing it in the next couple days. I too was interested in the Addco front bar but I am concerned about the two solid mounting points on each lower control arm with the much larger diameter bar. I wonder if the big bar will effect individual control arm movement and if so it might explain the much smaller, less effective stock bars.I sure would like to hear from someone who had tried the Addco bar. One way or another, that ugly Southwest front bar has got to go!

Ford Blue blood

I would advise against eliminating the front bar and going with a rear only.  This will give you a large amount of "push" buy hindering the outside front tire from firmly planting while cornering.  Sway bars, front and rear, should be "coordinated" for the best and safest handling.  I used a 58 Edsel Ranger (Pacer is the same as well) front bar.  It mounts high, holes for the links are already in the lower control arms and only a simple bracket is required to mount to the chassis.  Might be this is the same bar used on 58 - 59 Fords?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Jeff Norwell

Yes. agreed with Bill.. use a factory front sway bar if  eliminating the HD front and using a HD Rear bar.... 
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Jeff Norwell

Here is a good article on the 57 rear sway bar set up... a little more on a full suspension upgrade.but useful.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/bolt-on-lowering-the-1957-ford-ranch-wagon/
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

57imposter

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2018-07-24 15:49
Yes. agreed with Bill.. use a factory front sway bar if  eliminating the HD front and using a HD Rear bar....
I have always thought the same but a friend of mine called Fatman to get a front bar and talked to the fatman himself. He said to install a rear bar on a 50 Ford coupe and forgo the front. My friend did that and was very happy with the results. So I don't know, If I keep the front, I don't need as rear as it corners like a go cart now. If I can get the rear bar in, which will be no mean feat, I think I will give it a try without the front and see how it works. I won't be throwing anything away so I can always put it back on.

57imposter

I got my Concourse rear bar. I put the car on the hoist, should have done that before I spent the money on the new bar, and found that it will be almost impossible to install. That is not the fault of the bar design but rather the location of my fuel injection lines and the routing of my exhaust. Virtually everything in the rear of the car will have to be relocated to get the bar to fit. I am not sure I have either the energy or the interest to do that and may just make the bar another piece of garage art.

suede57ford

It might be able to mount underneath  the rear end.  I've seen that done before.    I usually try to have the bar installed before doing any exhaust work or running any lines as it does take up a bunch of room above the rear end.  The rear bar really adds to the stability if you can get it in place.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

hiball3985

Bummer, thats too bad. I guess I just lucked out and mine fit, I didn't even think about the modified exhaust location before I ordered mine
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang