News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

My first post, please be gentle....

Started by Cecil, 2019-03-30 21:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Cecil

I live in a little community called "Valley Center", north of San Diego.  We all have our 3/4 to 2 acres...we are for sure in the country.  My next door neighbor has over two acres and he also has a passion for buying old cars.  Now, he doesn't always get them working, but he collects them.

He was reported to the county a while back for having a junk yard in an non-business zoned area, so he has been scrambling to find home for his babies.  I talked to him and said he could store a car on my property temporarily  until this whole kerfluffel blew over.  He brought over a '57 Country Sedan.

I said to him..."Jim, you might not want to leave that car here...'cause I'll probably fall in love with it."  He left it anyway.

Dammit, Jim.

After four days, after many hours spent with the car, I went to talk to him...and he has reluctantly agreed to sell it to me.  With a spare 292, 'cause he says the one in it has pieces of piston floating around in the oil pan.

This is my new '57 Ford.

I and '57 Fords go a long way back.  When I was just 5 the family went to a Ford dealership and bought a brand new '57 Fairlane 500.   So what I feel about this machine goes deep.

I intend to put it back on the road as stock as I can get it.  I'm funny that way. 

Anyway, please be friendly, I'm a newbie here with a passion that has four wheels.

"I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you." - Brother Dave Gardner

RICH MUISE

Welcome to the forum Cecil. First thing you'll notice, if you haven't already, is everyone is friendly here. Doesn't matter if you're doing a restoration back to factory specs, custom, restomod, or into racing. If it's a '57 Ford, we'll all into it. That's going to be a gorgeous car when done......it's already pretty just the way it sits now. I love that color combination on a wagon. Thanks for the intro and the pics.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Cecil

Thanks, Rich.  I just wanted to say hello in a careful manner, I tend to be a little too verbose sometimes, especially when it comes to something like this car and what it means to me.  I'm just happy that I've found a like bunch of folks who feel as I do about the '57 Ford and I look forward to sharing where this restoration is going as time goes by.  For now, I'm gonna visit the different topics, learn what I can, and hopefully share the joy of this journey with people who understand.  :-)

Contibob

Great Car, That color, Coral Sand, was pretty rare on these cars. I am guessing it has the brown interior. I live in San Diego and have a few 57s. Lived off West Lilac many, many, years ago. Welcome to the site.

junior58

Very cool wagon, love the story. Welcome to the group, the best bunch of people I?ve never met and being from way down in New Zealand, probably not likely to meet  many. But they are the most friendly, helpful bunch you could ever wish to know.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

John Palmer

Hello from up the road in Orange County (North Tustin). 

I have a 57 Ranch Wagon that we use to tow our vintage camper trailers.

Watch out, your going to have your friendly neighbors calling code enforcement on you next.  They have nothing better to do than bitch to the government, then the neighbors come by and tell you how much they enjoy your vehicles.  Go figure?  You would think a guy living on a couple of acres would have some piece and privacy.

Welcome,
John

djfordmanjack

Welcome Cecil !
Good story and a beautiful project car!  looks great in its og patina and I don't see too much raingutter or rocker panel rust from here. 57 Ford wagons are the most!
Greetings from another Country Sedan owner from Europe
Guenter

hiball3985

Welcome. You may see me driving by on the 15 at times, I travel to Poway to visit the daughter and grand kids and pass your area. Enjoy the restoration work to what every degree you decide to go.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

CobraJoe

Welcome aboard Cecil, cool story and beautiful car!
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

FiveSevenLiter

I had one of those Kerflufuls once, but it was a Tudor!
:canada:
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

hemidave

Welcome Cecil,
        That's a great looking wagon. Of all the sites I go on, this is the most friendly and helpful group I have ever seen. Other sites have bad mouthing, stupid remarks, and unneeded drama. Here, everyone has been great!
                                                                                                                       Dave
'32 Ford roadster/49 Merc flathead, '39 Ford conv, '54 Ford sedan,  '56 Sunliner AC PW, '57 "F" Sunliner, '66 Fairlane 390 4spd conv, '76 F150 390 C6 plow truck.

Cecil

Quote from: Contibob on 2019-03-30 23:01
Great Car, That color, Coral Sand, was pretty rare on these cars. I am guessing it has the brown interior. I live in San Diego and have a few 57s. Lived off West Lilac many, many, years ago. Welcome to the site.

Somewhere, under about 12,792 National Geographic magazines, three inches of dust and a radiator from a Volvo it did appear to have a brown interior.  The good thing is that the seats are free from rips and tears so I'm hoping most of the interior work will just be a good cleaning. 

I'd love to hear more about your '57s.

Quote from: junior58 on 2019-03-30 23:13
Very cool wagon, love the story. Welcome to the group, the best bunch of people I?ve never met and being from way down in New Zealand, probably not likely to meet  many. But they are the most friendly, helpful bunch you could ever wish to know.

How awesome that you're in New Zealand, one of the most beautiful countries in the world.  You must have some fantastic roads picked out for cruisin'. 

Quote from: John Palmer on 2019-03-31 00:29
Hello from up the road in Orange County (North Tustin). 

Cool.  I went up there quite often in the early '70s when OCIR still existed.  *sadface*

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2019-03-31 05:59
Good story and a beautiful project car!  looks great in its og patina and I don't see too much raingutter or rocker panel rust from here. 57 Ford wagons are the most!
Greetings from another Country Sedan owner from Europe
Guenter

Thanks Guenter!  I see that you're from Graz, my wife was born in Wels so there's a connection there.  :-)

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2019-03-31 07:52
Welcome. You may see me driving by on the 15 at times, I travel to Poway to visit the daughter and grand kids and pass your area. Enjoy the restoration work to what every degree you decide to go.

Oh, yes.  Poway.  It's certainly a different place from when I lived there in the mid '70s.  Heck, back then there was one stop light and one main drag.  I don't get out to 15 all that much anymore, heck, everytime I do I feel like I'm driving at Talladega.  *scary*

Quote from: CobraJoe on 2019-03-31 17:17
Welcome aboard Cecil, cool story and beautiful car!

Thanks for the welcome.  With a little advice and a lot of elbow grease I think we can make it even more beautiful, just as beautiful as she deserves to be. 

Quote from: FiveSevenLiter on 2019-03-31 19:01
I had one of those Kerflufuls once, but it was a Tudor!
:canada:

I had a Kerfluful too, but it got stolen.  It took me weeks to find someone willing to take it.  It wasn't a very good car.

Quote from: hemidave on 2019-03-31 22:40
That's a great looking wagon. Of all the sites I go on, this is the most friendly and helpful group I have ever seen. Other sites have bad mouthing, stupid remarks, and unneeded drama. Here, everyone has been great!

Thanks Dave!  I have scars from some of those other sites, as you say I'm seeing none of that here.  Life's too short to be anything but friendly.

SkylinerRon

That's the color combo on my Skyliner.  It looks DYNOMITE on any 57 Ford!

Ron.

Jeff Norwell

Great wagon Cecil........and W E L C O M E !
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Cecil

Thanks, everyone.  Now comes the fun part, getting the car cleaned out, learning more about it by reading the posts here and by examining the car and how it's put together.  Next I need to get my garage in order, making room for the wagon and taking inventory on what it will take to rebuild her.  This is gonna be fun.   :003: