News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

ebay car comparison

Started by RICH MUISE, 2021-11-27 08:16

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

19 with a FE sounds good to me, I can't get that with my Y block 17-18 max, but I have gearing not suited to gas mileage.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

I kind of meant it as a joke. You need to re-read the miles per gallon or gallons per mile typo error. Yes 19 mpg is quite good for a 406 tri-power FE.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

FiveSevenLiter

That is with 3.90:1 gears, going from Abbotsford to Osoyoos, and having some fun doing it.
Terry
:canada:
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

Ford Blue blood

I have lived the old/new thing.  My Boss 302 was the standard factory hot rod, 4-speed, 3.90 T-Lock  The Boss was rated oat 290 HP, really close to 380+, gave 16 MPG running easy at 3000 RPM (60 MPH).  Manual steering, power brakes and an AM/FM radio.  Was my primary transportation for four years.

Years later a 2008 Shelby GT500, 510 HP (dyno run), power steering, power brakes, air conditioning, AM/FM radio.  Solid 21 MPG at 2150 RPM (75 - 80 MPH).  Easy to drive in heavy traffic, the Boss was a hand full.  It does ride harder then the Boss did.  The air makes it comfortable year round.

If I could I would have both, to chose one now as primary transportation the Shelby wins hands down as it out performs the Boss in every respect.  So to build an old car with modern EFI drive train is my choice now.  Would be different if I was still young and bullet proof!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Did my roadtrip in the Subaru Sunday, got back yesterday in time to get the '57 out of the shop. Josh thinks the steering wheel position issue is taken care of now, so we'll see. I've got a leaky heater hose I need to take care of before I take it anywhere.
We've had a policy here of not knocking other peoples cars, and I just want to make sure everyone knows that wasn't my intent with comparing my car to the Ebay one. I in fact think that car was well done, it just seemed to follow the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule. I mentioned the windshield and seal, but in the pics, all the glass looks great, so OK it was left. I should have mentioned it did seem to have a new body mount kit. There certainly is nothing wrong with building a car to flip, as long as it's done right, and this car seems to be. We just can't know for sure, but I just don't think your gonna find the gobs of body filler under the paint on this one that comes up so frequently when guys discover what they bought. This car just hasn't had unlimited amounts of money thrown at it, probably the best way to build a car for sale. You see a lot of cars with new paint jobs that you really wonder what is under the paint. I don't get that feeling with this one.
Seeing what they are asking, I've been trying to figure out what mine is worth, so honestly, the main reason for the comparison.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

mustang6984

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2021-11-30 09:53
Seeing what they are asking, I've been trying to figure out what mine is worth, so honestly, the main reason for the comparison.

I'll stick with my assessment that yours is probably worth another $10k over that one. JMHO!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

rmk57

The day I bought my Boss 429 I had to drive a 230 mile trip from Merritt B.C. to Vancouver. I topped off the tank in Merritt, then headed out, by the time I got to Hope (140 miles) I had around a

quarter tank left with another 90 miles to go. No way I was going to make it home so had to fill up again in Hope. It has a 22 gallon tank but I doubt you could drive 220 miles. The car does have

4.30 rear gears so those certainly weren't helping. I'm pretty sure my F-350 diesel loaded with the camper gets better mileage.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

Just took the '57 out for 10 miles or so to check the heater hose. Either it fixed itself, or my mechanic fixed it.....so far anyway. First indication is the steering issue has been resolved. Steering wheel is centered now on a no-crowned road. I'll put it through some paces later today for a final check. I'm guessing Josh felt he missed the loose upper control arm when he found all that other loose stuff, only charged 35. for replacing the bolt and shims and realignment! good guy.
quote:
Quote from: mustang6984 on 2021-11-30 10:01
I'll stick with my assessment that yours is probably worth another $10k over that one. JMHO!
Yeah, at least I would think. Soooo many subtle things that go unnoticed. let's talk about the previous mentioned items regarding cost/value:
1............ His is what appears to be original steering/suspension. Mine is rack and pinion with power. Dropped spindles, hd sway bar, new springs, steering column w/ tilt,
2............his, manual brakes (disc/drum). Mine is 4 wheel disc, power by Mustang hydroboost
3...........his, no antennae/radio?  mine power antennae controlled auto or manual, radio is marine Kenwood unit w/ Bluetooth, 4 sony speakers, microphone
4...........his non-working vacumn wipers. Mine multi-speed (Mustang) electric wiper motor with variable speed intermittent positions, custom built hard arm system.
5........no A/c on his.......Mine has Vintage Air gen IV, new compressor, braided ss lines.
I could go on and on.......power windows, nos door latches, all glass, glass runs, glass seals, etc etc. My point is sooo many subtle things that add to cost/value. Look, mine was not a high dollar built. It was budget all the way.....drivetrain from donor car. Seats from salvage yard (no upholstery shop involved at ant time). Many components from non-57 salvage yards. Only thing not budgeted was my labor, lol, call it a love of labor build.
Anyway, how do you figure the value of something like that? I've had enough people offer to buy that I know someday I'll re-run into guys that would make an offer I couldn't refuse.
and, btw, thank you guys for the nice compliments.

rmk57

I guess when it comes time to sell you have to find a buyer who appreciates all the add-ons and their intended use of the car. I don't mean new glass, window felts and such but A/C, power everything, rack and pinion and so on. It's not for everyone.

My 57 is the polar opposite of yours, mine doesn't even have a heater. I only ever drive it 20-30 miles at the most to local car events and if I ever decide to go to Hot August Nights in Reno I'd tow it. Definitely not as long distance friendly as yours (I wear earplugs if I have to drive it more than 20 miles) but I wouldn't change a thing on it. Depends on the the owners vision of the perfect 57 as far as value I think. I have two people locally that are interested in mine if I ever decide to sell.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

59meteor

I agree, different strokes for different folks. With my 59, I built it the way that I would have in the 1970s, if I would have been able to afford the parts and had the free time. I wanted a bares bones, street racer "sleeper" type of car , like my buddys old 66 Hemi 4 speed Belvedere 1 2 door sedan, that had manual steering and brakes, no radio, rubber floor covering, and dog dish hubcaps. That look and raw functionality has always appealed to me, likely why I always prefered the 57 Custom 2 door sedans over the fancier Fairlane and 500s. All personal preference. I am considering a 5 speed overdrive transmission eventually to make freeway trips more pleasant, I could just put the taller 2.91 gears in the rearend, but I refuse to live with the loss of performance. I really dont care that I could buy a stock late model Mustang that would run quicker at the dragstrip, obviously runs circles around my 59 in the corners, out brake it, be more comfortable, and get double the gas mileage, Then I would just be another guy with a late model Mustang. I personally get much more satisfaction driving something that I built from scratch from a vision in my head . I see a lot of older guys around my area, that buy a car already done, and there is always something (paint, interior, engine, suspension etc), that they would have done differently, but unlike maybe wheels and tires, will never change to suit their own taste. Pretty much any EBay, bringatrailer, craigslist, or any other sales media car is like that to me. Same as buying a new car, I never buy what is on the lot, I would rather place a factory order, and wait the 2 months or so to get exactly what I want, rather than pay extra for package groups or options, that I dont want, or need, or settle for a different color or trim level. Maybe if you change cars every couple of years, it wouldnt be a big deal, but as someone who tends to keep my vehicles long term, not I like what I like. I know a few Ford guys, who have bought finished street rods, with belly button (chevy) engines, and just live with that. I would have that orange lump hanging from a chain as soon as I got the car home, assuming the seller wouldnt sell it less engine and transmission.A lot of people who build cars just to flip, tend to go cheap on a lot of stuff, to make maximum profit, or speed up the build, which is fine if you dont care that your new toy has a 305 and Turbo 350 trans from a rusted Chevy Van, or you have Walmart tires on bargain basement wheels, and a $15.00 tach and gauges .
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

RICH MUISE

I absolutely can see the appeal. When I unexpectedly ran across my '57 (late father-in-law's), I picked it up just cause my wife and I always wanted a 50-60s cruiser. Honestly, I didn't care about brands, etc.......just had to like the looks. After sitting in my driveway in Colorado for 4 years, I drove it as my DD for a year, just cause I was tired of car payments. Had a ball in it..6 cyl, 3 on the tree, 100 miles per gallon (of oil), etc. Even when I moved to Texas and started working on it, I was going to keep it a driver while I "fixed it up". Then I started going to car shows, swap meets, etc. At the tri-state swap meet in Denver, in the car corral was a '57 2 dr Custom that had received the full body-off treatment. I kept looking and looking, and everywhere I looked all I could see was new and shiny. I knew after that I was never going to be happy until mine was like that. I started disassemling that week..and 10 1/2 years later, lol.....
If I had the expertise/knowledge/experience etc etc that many of you guys have, I probably would have gone the drivetrain route you all did, but I don't have that know-how, so I opted for the more dependable route, as far as drivetrain, and to be honest, performance has always been appreciated by me, but it just takes a back seat to appearance/looks. With that said, I'm definitely not the trailer queen type.
Also, not mentioned..these computer-controlled cars may be somewhat of a mystery, but they also come with an in-house mechanic of sorts in the form of a plug connector for a diagnostic code reader.....I like a car that tells you what's wrong with it. Very helpful for us non-wizards.
This is not a discussion we'd be having on the Hamb!!

gasman826

My '57 started out as something to bounce around in.  I patched it back together and worked on it until it was reliable.  Then...some upgrades.  I was driving it regularly and got cocky enough to drive out of state...several states with HOT ROD Power Tour.  The PIC is Amy and I leaving for the 1st day of Power Tour with plenty of rust, dents, primer, different colors, couple of Thunderbird seats, and NO spare.

gasman826

Then, I got to running with a bad crowd...Power Tour people.

gasman826

Comments from people that liked the car...'it just needs a little paint'.

mustang6984

Hey...it had sexy wheels! And it ran...go man go!!!
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker