News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

windsheild removal

Started by Frankenstein57, 2007-01-24 22:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankenstein57

Does anyone have any tips for removal of the windsheild on my 66a ranchero?I safely removed the windsheid on my 66b,but I cracked the rear glass.AS rare as the windsheilds are it makes me nervous.The guy I bought it from did some sandblasting on the front end and got sand in the gasket.I appreciate all suggestions,thanks    Mark

fomocochoptop

Is it a rubber seal gasket or Glue type? I Can't remember

Glen Henderson

The safest way is to cut the seal with a razor knife. I am sure that you are planing on replacing it anyway. The old seals get hard and brittle and trying to remove one by prying and pushing it out is very dangerous. Ask me how I know? Just cut it out and be done with it. Another tip, go by a windshild shop and see if you can talk them out of a box to store yours in until you are ready to reinstall. Grinder sparks will ruin one standing in against the wall. Ask me how I know?

RAWms

Like Glen said above you need to cut the rubber on the inside.  My dash panel was out so I'm not sure access to the bottom part.  From the inside cut it all the way around.  With two people start nudging it forward.  Once it breaks loose it it gets pretty straight forward.   This was my first time so I saved a few big chunks to use as "go bys" in case there was to be any confusion during the new rubber install.

I did store it under a table on a piece of carpet.  I supported the center section with a 2x4.  When you set it down you will see why.

Re-installation is another two man job.  I took my new rubber out of the package and layed it in the sun so the memory shape from the package would not be a fight.  On the workbench I put the rubber on the glass.  There just may be an issue where the new rubber is connected or a specific spot location on the glass.  I think it is at one of the corners but can't remember now.  Put a string in the groove and lubricate with dish washing soap.  The final stages did take a few open hand encouragement but only at the strongest points.  I used Dennis Carpentars and the fit was very nice.

Good luck, r
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

shopratwoody

Don't forget how much fun it was to put the stainless in the rubber also before you install. If you have stainless
don't try to remove till after the window is out as I did once long ago :dumbass:
Good Luck, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

redshoes57

There is a 2 small sheet metal screews on each side that go thru the stainless trim. make you get these before you push on the glass.

Frankenstein57

I successfully removed the glass last night,I removed the inside trim -then cut about 5/8th of the gasket , and wala! no cracks. Thanks for the help! Now why did I crack the back glass? :dumbass: Mark

red408

hi guys ,since we are on the subject of windshield removal  and installation i have a question. can you install the headliner later or does it have to be installed first? this is on a 57 custom. the old headliner was tucked behind the inside trim,can't remember how the back part came out.  any help or advice is appreciated. thanks bill

shopratwoody

The headline can be installed with the windows in place. Just remove the windshield trim.
I hate blocksanding!

wv 57s forever

on the custom the head liner go under the rubber in the back to hold it tight