News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear stone deflector

Started by rivowner1, 2013-02-17 04:58

Previous topic - Next topic

rivowner1

Hello.
After blasting, painting and installing the rear bumper brackets I am now confused over how to install the stone deflector boiught from C&G Early Ford parts. It is a 57 Fairlane 500 w a 351 cl in the engine bay. Can you advice me on where shall the staples be, which part of the rubber shall be towards body or bumper etc ? I can not see any holes for the staples neither in body nor bumper. I have rechromed rear bumper from Bumper Boyz.

I take the chance to ask you on Ford 57 or old auto related places to visit near San Diego. Could be spare part shops, new or old parts, auto museums etc. Me and my wife goes there around easter and of course we can search the internet for info but it is special to have tips from you. We live in Sweden/overseas and it will be a 10 days trip.

Thanks in advance

Jan
(Jan Norling, Aelvkarleby, 150 km north of Stockholm)

Frankenstein57

I had the same problem, not sure why I bought the staples. I used pop rivets, equal spaced. If you don't want the shiny rivets showing, they make colored ones. Now if your car is a concours, stock oem looking car, You may need to make the staples work. Welcome to the community, all the way from Germany.  Mark

RICH MUISE

Mark: Germany? You on a ski vacation?
Jan..Greetings! Mine has a little custom body work including a rolled rear pan, so I haven't had to deal with the rubber stone deflector. If I remember when I disassembled my car there is no attachment to the bumper, only the body. In place where I had to staple stuff on, I ran masking tape on the rubber after clamping it in place. I then used a single staple to puncture the masking tape and drilled 1/16" holes using the punctures as a guide. The staples were then inserted and bent over by hand. It's tedious, but I don't know as we have any other alternative if you don't want the rivets.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

rivowner1

Hi again

Sorry for my delay with answer. Thanks for your comments. If I get it right, pull the double rubber part over the body metal lip sticking out from the body. Then drill holes for the staples or rivets, put them in place, right ?

Still snowy here at my place, but as I said, we have ordered a trip to sunny California, something to look forward to.

Best regards Jan

gasman826

I've searched high and low for information about that stapler.  The only method I have heard is to drill, insert and bent by hand.  I know the factory had a stapler.  The other manufacturers also used staples.  I haven't found a picture and any reference to that stapler.

Ford Blue blood

They really can't be that heavy or big.  A fellow here who does great to really crappy interior work (depending upon where he is in his drug/alcohol abuse cycles) put close to 100 holes in a friends real steel full fendered Desoto Hemi powered (the "baby hemies")T roadster doing the side panels next to the seat.  They of course didn't fold over, just poked straight through the sheet metal.  It was an air driven staple.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

"just poked straight thru the sheetmetal"......as in outer skin of the body??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

gasman826

I was going to give that a try.  Then all you have to do is bend the staples over.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: gasman826 on 2013-02-24 10:18
I was going to give that a try.  Then all you have to do is bend the staples over.

:003:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero